Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pics of a stupid mistake

Pics of a stupid mistake

Okay creekers, at the behest of some on the other thread, who wanted to see pics of my hollowing through the sides of a vase, I am posting these pics...........however, our most omnipotent moderator, none other than his majesty Mr. Schlumpf, has suggested that other creekers make this a thread about turning mistakes, and post your pics as well.

I realize that with the expertise of people on this forum that many will have to go back literally years to find a picture of a mistake...........that being said, if you don't have your pics, then just tell your story!

On this thread pics are preferred, but we will accept that it happened even if you don't have the pics to prove it! I'll start with this vase:

IMGP2518.jpgIMGP2519.jpgIMGP2520.jpgIMGP2521.jpg
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I have a nice mortar and pestle that started out with a similar shape. The blowout was while undercutting the rim, so it was still tall enough to save. I also have had blowouts turning ornament globes. I need to revisit the foot. This was made during a week long course.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

So it changed from a Vase to a Chalice!

I haven't turned enough yet to consider anything a 'mistake' yet (haha).

Ok..this is easy! I used this pic as an avatar a couple of months ago. So cold and windy they are actually in flames..not all at once. What a great way to end the yr, eh?
    Happy New Yr everybody and here's to a prosperous and joyful 2011!
    fireplace.jpg

I wish I had a good source for cork to plug all the holes I have in the bottoms of my projects. LOL. Mine pretty much immediately get used as kindling.

3 years ago...

I blew up what I hoped was going to be a real nice hollow form (because I didn’t remove my hand-held hollowing tool before reaching around the steady rest to shut off the lathe ) At that point I decided it was time to install a remote on/off switch.

Cherry Vase v1.JPG Cherry Vase v2.JPG

Build the remote switch and have used it every day since!!!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Here is mine. Fortuitous timing Roger. Had a lapse in concentration, was already putting this on the shelf in my mind and blew the rim off.P1010040.JPG

Heres just a couple of mine....

A little HF that got a little thin in the wall.

IMG_0696.jpg

And a burl goblet that again was getting a bit thin and decided to start to crack.

IMG_0723.jpg

And a Happy New Year to the Turners on the Creek!

DCP_0582.jpg
    Here's my attempt at using a bowl saver: a lamp shade on 2 different blanks. Ugh And then I didn't notice until much later that at least one of the bowls was too thin at the bottom

Happy New Year, Creekers and my all your turnings be salvaged

Obvious of what happened. It was a little thinner than I thought it was until I hollowed out more than I should have. Oops, it makes me sick when something like this happens.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hey guys & gals,

I feel your pain! Keep 'em coming because we can all learn from one another!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I feel everyone's pain!
    This little apple form was destined to go in the barbecue pit.IMG00003.jpg

Because of my great turning skills and fine tool techniques I have never hand a problem like that. As-a-matter-of-fact I don't even own any sand paper. My turnings are so smooth that I go straight from the lathe to the finish -- no need for sanding. I also know aikido, karate, judo, tae kwon do and seven other japanese words. Happy New Year

I have had numerous examples exposing inexperience, haste or such. I saved them all right near my lathe, but when folks come by to visit my shop, they all wanna' leave with something. Many adults look at these examples of various disasters as "unique", or "cute", and kids want them for their stuff. Whatever, I gave away my last few pieces this past Christmas. (they were holding my loose screws, allen keys, etc.)
    I do believe that there will be more, though.

I am like Fred. I keep several funnels and various failures right beside the lathe just to remind me of that one last cut.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.