Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Older 20" Rockwell BS... model 28-3X0 or 28-340 is it any good?

Older 20" Rockwell BS... model 28-3X0 or 28-340 is it any good?

I'm in need for a bigger band saw and seen this today...it's 220v single phase. I don't know the exact model number, as far as I've been able to find is that there were a few different model numbers....the x for schools or military and then standard and then one w/ variable speed....I think.

Anyone have one, how is it? Would a newer version be much easier to use?
    Attached Images Attached Images

I can't see from the picture if that bandsaw has the adjustable guides,or those infernal pick off shims that you have to re stack whenever you put on a different blade. I think both are still offered,but the old fashioned adjustable ones might cost more. Early models were all adjustable.

If it's American made,and you could get Carter guides for it,I'd say go. You need to be careful that it will accept Carter guides,though. I'm not sure about the pick off guides,and if they take Carter replacements.

At the museum,the furniture conservation shop carelessly bought the Delta with the pick off guides. It looked like a pain to adjust,especially those under the table. A truly bad offering by delta to save a few bucks.
    Last edited by george wilson; 01-02-2011 at 8:24 PM.

VS or multi speed models I would think would be for cutting metal,but I'm not sure about that.Also the model for cutting metal will have different guides,again I think.If the price is right,then a different setup oneway or the other will be worth the investment.---Carroll

OWWM has a picture of a restored 28-3X0, you might be able to contact the owner and see what he thinks about it.
    Nice looking machine, iIt looks looks it has standard roller guide bearings.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

First I think the 28-3X0 was the wood cutting variety and the 28-3X5 was the metal cutting but not 100% sure. As George said the J plate guide system is a real pain and though I did not see the 28-3X0 listed on the Carter site I have seen them on this type of saw but not sure how much fab work the owner did or if they do have an off the shelf solution. Everyone I have known with one likes the saw except for the guide issues.

Bruce, OWWM is now Vintagemachinery.org though OWWM.com is still a working redirection link.

Thanks all...yeah, it looks like there are other wood tools in the background so maybe it is the standard for wood. Still waiting to hear from the owner. Any other input if this is the wood only model? Would it be better than most of the new sub $1000 band saws out there?

Quote Originally Posted by travis howe View Post
    Thanks all...yeah, it looks like there are other wood tools in the background so maybe it is the standard for wood. Still waiting to hear from the owner. Any other input if this is the wood only model? Would it be better than most of the new sub $1000 band saws out there?
    It would be far superior to the current crop of import machinery. My 20 inch Delta bandsaw is slightly older than the one pictured. The cast iron table trunnion is massive when compared to more recent offerings. The table itself is very heavy. The whole machine weighs between 600 and 700 lbs. If the machine is in good shape, no cracked castings, good wheels, go buy it! Was shopping at a local woodworking store and their current offering of 18 inch saws seemed very wimpy when compaired to my old Delta Raokwell.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    Bruce, OWWM is now Vintagemachinery.org though OWWM.com is still a working redirection link.
    Thanks Van. I did not know that.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Better than the sub-1000 crew today, absolutely. Think about what you can get at that price point:

Rikon 18" on sale
    Grizzly 513 series 17"
    Jet 14" saws
    PM 14" saw
    Delta 14"
    etc etc

Bruce, they changed 1/1/11. Not sure of the reasons, I didn't read the reasoning just noticed the change.

Thanks again... Are the parts readily available for something like this? Yeah my problem with looking at today's model and something like this saw is I've never seen anything but this newer stuff so I don't know what more this saw would give me.

Quote Originally Posted by travis howe View Post
    Thanks again... Are the parts readily available for something like this? Yeah my problem with looking at today's model and something like this saw is I've never seen anything but this newer stuff so I don't know what more this saw would give me.
    Assuming there are no defective structural parts, the only other parts that possibly need replacements are Bearings, Wheel tires, electric switches, all readily available. Find someone in your area who has an older model American made bandsaw and then comparable it to the lower priced imports.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    Bruce, they changed 1/1/11. Not sure of the reasons, I didn't read the reasoning just noticed the change.
    The change was done to accomodate metal working machinery plus steam engines and old gas engines like hit-and-miss engines.

The discussion group is still owwm.org, however.

Kirk

I have that saw and although I have the crappy guides, it still cuts just fine. I plan on changing out the guides, when I get some spare time........

how much would you pay?

Okay... so i'm now sure it's better than what's out there today... this might seem like an odd question but would you pay $800-$900 for one of these saws in really good shape... even if it's 20ish years old?

I have this saw. I got lucky when I found it for $300. Only issue was the 3 phase motor. Even with the new motor and a set of Carter guides I have less money than a new saw. I Love the saw and am very happy every time I use it.
    Victor
    Remember a bad day in the shop is much better than a good day at the office!

Gain additional features, benefits and ad-free access to SMC --> Contribute