Thread: CL jointer help.

CL jointer help.

http://saginaw.craigslist.org/tls/2138981592.html

What would be a good offer for this jointer? He said "It is a model 54 serial #9554392 and it does run."

just looking for some input..I do live in Saginaw so i will be able to look over it before I buy it.

JT

if it works, 275 is very fair.

If this jointer was within driving distance of where I am I would own it very soon. looks like a decent deal to me Jared

does anyone have any stats on this jointer? I can only find info on the 54A and this one is the older version the 54.

JT

Hey thanks for pointing this out - I just bought it from the guy while you were figuring out what to offer!!

Ahhh, just kidding......

Buy it. Nuff said.
    I sold a 6" Jet like that one for $350.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by ken carroll View Post
    Hey thanks for pointing this out - I just bought it from the guy while you were figuring out what to offer!!

Ahhh, just kidding......

The early bird catcheth the worm...John Ray's A collection of English proverbs (1678)

He who hesitates is lost...Joseph Addison's Cato (1712)

Git-R-Dun...Larry The Cable Guy (2004)

The Model 54 is a Chinese import marketed by PM--virtually identical to the Jet version. If you really need a 6" jointer you could do much worse. The gold paint is usually worth a premium. Offer $250 and see if the seller blinks twice!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

It looks like a model 50. I've got a much older version of it--great machine. Its got a nice solid, oversized fence (they used the same fence on its 8" brother.) and the table castings are massive. I paid around that for mine and did a total restoration, then later added a Bryd head. Mine was 3-phase so I replaced the motor with a used 3/4HP motor.

I've only ever read one negative comment on old Powermatic jointers from someone who ranted against basically all old Powermatic equipment all as being junk so I tend to discount those comments.

Matt, your Model 50 is a true, USA-made Powermatic from McMinnville.
    Like this '81 model:

The Model 54 was a generic Chinese import, although pretty nice. There are old Grizzlys virtually identical to it. That side-mounted elevation wheel is a dead giveaway; also the ribbed aluminum cutter guard:

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Chip Lindley; 01-03-2011 at 8:56 AM.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Now that you posted the 50 photos I see the difference in the tables which is a big giveaway. But the 50 did have a front mounted elevation wheel early on--not sure when they changed it to the style like the '81 had. Mine is a 61, I think, and has it.

You be exactly right Matt. Early 60s PM Model 50s had that side-mounted infeed crank. OWWMs photo archive is so Cool!

Here is 1960 PM50 #0-4833

There's nothing like the smell of arn in the morning; it smells like arn.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Lindley View Post
    The early bird catcheth the worm...John Ray's A collection of English proverbs (1678)

He who hesitates is lost...Joseph Addison's Cato (1712)

Git-R-Dun...Larry The Cable Guy (2004)
    Thanks for the laugh, Chip.