Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How Much Shop Time Do You Get?

How Much Shop Time Do You Get?

It seems that I don't have nearly as much shop time as I would like. By the time I get home in the evening, have a bite, prepare for tomorrow and relax a little my shop time is almost non-existant.

How much time do you folks get during the week and when do you get it?

-- Kevin

Not enough because there are only 24 hours in a day!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Herber

-- Kevin
    I get off work at 7:00AM, in the shop if I wanna be from 8:30 or 9:00 until 2:00 or so, then something to eat and off to sleepy land until I get up at 9:00 to go back to work. I'm off Sunday and Monday nights...Sunday is 'family day', and we do pretty much whatever LOML wants to do. I get a lot more woodworking done with a night job than I did when I had a real job during the day.

KC

I get off work at 4:30, go home, get my daughter dinner, read paper, then off to the basement. I try to get 3-4 hours. I usually don't spend all that time working in the shop. I have all the usual BS from the day to deal with. So by the time I get it all figured out, I get about 10-15 minutes of actual shop time. I hope this makes sense to all.
    Scott

Woodchips....Natures Vitamins

Not nearly enough...some due to business travel and other obligations and some due to not being a "morning person". Evenings are tough to get into the shop because Dr. SWMBO doesn't get home from work until between 7 and 7:30 and then we deal with dinner. When I'm home and decide to cook, I can have it on the table when she arrives, but the nights we go out pretty much eliminate any time left for shop frolic. Further, during the winter months, it's difficult to get the shop comfortable in a very short period of time for evening play--hopefully in the next couple of years I can solve that issue with finishing of the upstairs of the shop building so I can get a real HVAC system in place. So it's pretty much weekends and around other distractions...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I would like more!!! I try to balance out family, Friends,business, travel , and other things. I usually don't get shop time in the evening...we do stuff ..I would like more!
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Herber
    It seems that I don't have nearly as much shop time as I would like. By the time I get home in the evening, have a bite, prepare for tomorrow and relax a little my shop time is almost non-existant.

-- Kevin
    I get in the shop every night for at least 2 hours if I want to and every weekend I get in at least 4 hours, again if I want to. There are times I wish I could get more time in, but this amount seems about right to me.

I travel about three weeks out of every month so I can't spend every night in my garage shop. However, I do get in about 8 hours every weekend and as many evenings as I can when I am home. I probably average 12 hours a week.
    Kent Cori

Half a bubble off plumb

Well this woodworking is my business. So, I get 10-12 hours a day, at least 6 days a week, sometimes 7 days a week. Did I say I turned my hobby into a job? Lol

I get a lot. I work 40 hours a week, but I get off at 3:30. I dont have any kids so I usually have non work time all to myself.

Well, there is family time and my time. Not enough of either but if one has to give for the other the family time wins out hands down. I can get about 6 hours on my off days when my daughter is in school. Sometimes I can get a weekend but having only 2 off per month they are usually for the family. Working 12 hours on shift (days and nights) I don't go home and work in the shop - just too tired and I don't like starting something and not getting to a good stopping point. During the summer it is typically too hot here so I don't get really any at all to speak of for about 4 or 5 months a year. During the winter I tend to work alot of overtime but when I am off you can find me in my shop as much as I can be. Sometimes up to 16 hours a day if I can swing it.

This thread should be turned into a poll so we could see how everyone measures up. I would enjoy that. I don't want to hijack the thread so I will let the originator look into that.

"...This thread should be turned into a poll so we could see how everyone measures up. I would enjoy that. I don't want to hijack the thread so I will let the originator look into that."

Mike - Go ahead and hijack this if you want! I considered a poll when I posted it but I did not want to limit responses to a specific criteria. I must say that I did expect to more participaton than this...

-- Kevin

I'm sure that "not enough" would be the answer for all of us. As for me I sometimes get an hour or so in the evenings then 2 - 4 hours a day on the weekends. That varries somewhat depending on my family's schedule. Righ now my evenings are tied up on Mon, Tues, and Wed. plus I'm tied up all day on Saturdays. This won't leave much time for WW until at least March.

Such is life....
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.

ZERO,NONE,NINE,ZILCH,ARGGGGG!!!

Taking pain medicine for a pinched nerve in my back. Don't think shop time would be a good idea right now as my saw is moving around the room and I can't catch it.

Supposed to get a spinal shot Friday. We'll see if shop time is in my future then.

Also not enough shop time.

Depending on how much OT / Project time there is;maybe 2 hrs. after work & then most of Saturday - if the Wife doesn't have a bigger priority.
    John
    NOTHING beats a failure,but a try.
    -------------------------------------------
    Have a Blessed Day,

JMC