Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Digital Tablesaw Blade Tilt indicator

Digital Tablesaw Blade Tilt indicator

Since Wixey is not planning to make a digital tilt unit for the tablesaw, I decided to take matters into my own hands.

I made a simple bracket for the Wixey and attached it to my saw- now I have a bit more precision, more convenience with a continuous readout, and it is easier on my eyes.

First I removed the blade elevation lock, the handwheel setscrew, the handwheel, and the tilt angle pointer.

I made a wooden bracket (too lazy to make it from steel) that slips over the tilt shaft and attaches to the tilt pointer bracket by the pointer screw. I attached the pointer to the top and mounted a small piece of steel angle at the end:

Then I reinstalled the elevation crank and lock knob:

How it works:

I set the blade to 0 deg. tilt using the Wixey in the normal manner - set the Wixey on the top of the saw, zeroize it, attach it to the blade disc, and turn the tilt crank to adjust the blade to 0.0 deg. using the readout.

But then however, instead of putting it aside, I place the Wixey on the little steel shelf at the end of the wooden bracket. The shelf is tilted slightly but that doesn't matter since I zeroize the Wixey again. Now both the blade and Wixey are calibrated and at 0 deg. (once adjusted, the pointer also indicates 0 deg.)

Then, using the Wixey readout, I tested it by tilting the blade to various angles, first to 22.5 deg.

the pointer also reads 22.5 deg.

Then, using the Wixey readout again, I attempted to tilt the blade to 45 deg. but hit the stop which was either improperly adjusted or caked with dust, so I could only get 44.7 deg.

That is what the pointer reads too, at least that is what it looked like it was reading, since it is not that precise! (there is a little parallax due to the camera angle).

This worked very well, was easy to do, and required no permanent mods to the machine!!! Maybe I'll send it to the magazines as a tip.

That is very sweet, I might have to build me that set-up.

What a great tip. I never would have thought the shaft/wheel assembly moves in the same way, but it makes good sense. I wonder if it works for every saw...

Kudos to you!

Love it. Great idea!

That is a most excellent idea!

Fantastic. Definitely stealing the idea

Blog Entries
    Very clever. Great tip.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Alan;
    I hope you've sent this to a magazine. Sure to win a prize with it.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Very cool Alan, Thanks for sharing...my Griz 1023 will likely get this as well soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    Alan;
    Alan wins all the prizes now. Alan, have you found the repeatability of the Wixey to be accurate? Seems like I remember you have some that are right on and some that you compensate a 1/10 or so. Do you feel it to be more accurate than just attaching the Wixey to the blade? Thanks again for the blast gate help. I've just installed my seventh auto gate using your advice. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    Alan;
    Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    Alan wins all the prizes now. Alan, have you found the repeatability of the Wixey to be accurate? Seems like I remember you have some that are right on and some that you compensate a 1/10 or so. Do you feel it to be more accurate than just attaching the Wixey to the blade? Thanks again for the blast gate help. I've just installed my seventh auto gate using your advice. Dave
    I hope you guys realize this thread is almost a year old!

Yup, submitted it, was chosen, got paid (Lee Valley GC), but don't remember if it was ever published by AWW (Woodsmith wanted it too! ). No problems with repeatability, no need for compensation with this or other Wixey devices. FYI, I recently noticed my calipers wouldn't zero out- it seemed to work fine except when zeroing, the display would quickly change from 0.0 to 0.2 . A new battery fixed that. D'oh!!

It is no more or less accurate than putting it on the blade, just much quicker, more convenient and easier to read for my aging eyes! Even though it maintains calibration, it is like the circuits in most of these devices which remain powered even if the display is off, I usually do a quick re-cal before a shop session and of course must do one if I use the angle gauge somewhere else (see below). I originally thought I could use the saw's zero stop for re-cal if I adjusted it precisely, but dust build-up on the stop can cause it to be off. One caution- if your saw's mobile base or floor are flexible, leaning heavily or putting weight on one side of the saw when you initially check to see if the blade is vertical can affect the reading of the gauge. A floor that slopes is no problem. Unless your floor is REALLY flexible it likely won't be off my more than .1, however

Here is a Christmas bonus. One of these days I gotta write up and submit this next one:

Trying to read and set the bevel accurately using the tiny scale way at the back of my my mitersaw is next to impossible so I came up with this incredibly simple solution. It was much easier to implement than the TS installation. I used the screw from an existing power cord cable clamp at the top of the head to attach a small piece of steel. You could also attach it with a small dab of epoxy, good double stick tape, etc. The mounting location should be level in both directions. If not you can bend or twist the steel pad. The saw should be relatively level and the head must be lowered to the cut position when calibrating, taking a reading, or setting the bevel. My saw has a head lock that does that. It works great!

The new Wixey measures and displays both relative and absolute tilt. My mitersaw installation is 1 deg. out of level, hence the difference in the readings.

Last edited by Alan Schaffter; 12-24-2011 at 12:35 PM.

I thought I saw one time that Wixey was making one for the table saw that always kept a relative angle on the saw it'self - between the blade and the saw so that regardless of the saw being level or not, the angle would always be between the blade and saw top.

Does this setup do that as well? Looks neat and will have to try it!

Thanks.
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

Am I missing something here? I have the Beall tilt-box. It has magnets on the sides - I set it on the saw table to zero it out, then slap it on the blade to read the angle as I crank it.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Not only is this a great idea it gives me what I really wanted which was an excuse to upgrade my old tilt box to the newer style one. Thank you very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Westfall View Post
    I thought I saw one time that Wixey was making one for the table saw that always kept a relative angle on the saw it'self - between the blade and the saw so that regardless of the saw being level or not, the angle would always be between the blade and saw top.

Does this setup do that as well? Looks neat and will have to try it!

Thanks.
    Yup once it is calibrated.