Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cabinet Refacing

I'm a bit surprised that after all of the comments about how lucky it is that the FF's are removable that there are so many recommendations to forclose on luck the next time by permanently attach the new ones.

I think most people consider getting two revisions out of cabinets enough especially when they must not be that high quality of a cabinet to begin with since the frames were tacked on with a few staples to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by Noah Katz View Post
    I'm a bit surprised that after all of the comments about how lucky it is that the FF's are removable that there are so many recommendations to forclose on luck the next time by permanently attach the new ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Conley View Post
    I checked the existing face frames and they can be removed fairly easily. They are not glued on, they are attached with staples from the back side at an angle. I took a hammer and hit the frame from the inside and it will come off.
    Mike is lucky in a sense, that his FFs are not fine cabinetry, affixed with plenty of glue instead of a few air staples. Makes for a very easy remodel. I can build solid wood FFs faster and easier than all the steps involved in a really good veneer job!

Often folks are really happy with their cabinet layout OR cannot spend on a brand new cabinet install. Refacing offers new looks at a fraction of custom cabinet prices. Plus, for many, a non-functioning kitchen in the midst of remodel is too disrupting to consider. Refacing allows the cabinets to remain intact (sorta) with a minimum of kitchen chaos!

Some sources state the average kitchen lasts 10 years before a renovation. I would think 15 or 20 years is closer to reality for the working middle class! While upscale individuals can afford to remodel at their whim, others consider a kitchen remodel as a major investment. Therefore, probably two remodels of the same set of cabinets is about the limit. Third time things will be gutted to the walls.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Peel and Stick...good by me.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene Waara View Post
    I used peel and stick last winter while refacing my sons cabinets. It was the first time I tried peel and stick and was really impressed. When complete it was almost impossible to tell the refaced rails and stiles from those on a new cabinet I made. I also made new doors and when closed, so little of the rails and stiles show I am convinced the time and money saved was well worth the trade off. I used oak and stained and finished the veneer the same as the doors.
    Another vote for peel and stick. I refaced my Mother's cabinets 8 years ago and the faceframes still look great. It was relatively easy and quick to do. A razor knife, combo square, edge band trimmer (the $15 handheld one) and some sandpaper glued to a block of wood is all it takes.
    -Jeff
    Thank goodness for SMC and wood dough.

Blog Entries
    While replacing the face frames is easy, I don't recommend it particularly on a cabinet of questionable construction containing particle board in a bathroom. As noted the glue joint on the particle board failed easily which means the new joint isn't likely to fare much better. For the cost of a single sheet of good plywood, he is reusing an old cabinet of questionable construction. If it were my vanity and I intended to stay in the house for more than a couple of years, it would be an all new quality cabinet made from scratch to fit my cherry face frame and drawer fronts. I could then make good drawer boxes and install a quality drawer runner so the cabinet is trouble free for years to come. That's just my take on it
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Lindley View Post
    Often folks are really happy with their cabinet layout OR cannot spend on a brand new cabinet install. Refacing offers new looks at a fraction of custom cabinet prices. Plus, for many, a non-functioning kitchen in the midst of remodel is too disrupting to consider. Refacing allows the cabinets to remain intact (sorta) with a minimum of kitchen chaos!

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    While replacing the face frames is easy, I don't recommend it particularly on a cabinet of questionable construction containing particle board in a bathroom. As noted the glue joint on the particle board failed easily which means the new joint isn't likely to fare much better. For the cost of a single sheet of good plywood, he is reusing an old cabinet of questionable construction. If it were my vanity and I intended to stay in the house for more than a couple of years, it would be an all new quality cabinet made from scratch to fit my cherry face frame and drawer fronts. I could then make good drawer boxes and install a quality drawer runner so the cabinet is trouble free for years to come. That's just my take on it
    The only place it was glued was on the small corner brace at the top inside of each corner. The rest of the face frame was stapled on from the back side at an angle.

I agree that a whole new cabinet would be the best. However, money doesn't grow on trees at my place and when I get to doing the whole kitchen the cost of the plywood to do all the cabinets will make a big difference. If money was not a concern, I would like to gut the whole kitchen and start from scratch. I will go even farther than that, if money was not a concern, I would sell the house and build my dream home!

Chip's comment is pretty much where I am coming from.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Lindley View Post
    Therefore, probably two remodels of the same set of cabinets is about the limit. Third time things will be gutted to the walls.
    that makes sense

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Conley View Post
    If money was not a concern, I would like to gut the whole kitchen and start from scratch.
    That's always a tough judgement call when considering any kitchen remodel job. Today, stock cabinets are very inexpensive making a total gut attractive. However, all the other "incidentals" like the countertop, backsplash, appliances, fixtures, flooring, lighting, etc. also become part of the judgement call. In for a penny, in for a pound. It can become costly very quickly.

I think refacing is a great way to face lift a kitchen if the homeowner is handy and determined. It provides great visual effect at minimal cost.

On a different note...I personally don't have a problem with cabinet construction using engineered sheet materials. As far as the face frames only being tacked in place, that means they are basically just decorative and not meant to be structural. Nor do they need be as per commonly believed. After all, the Europeans have been successfully using frame less cabinetry for decades. I would also like to say that all the kitchen remodel jobs I've done, the reason was to either update the layout of the kitchen or change its appearance. It wasn't because the cabinets were falling apart.

-Jeff
    Thank goodness for SMC and wood dough.

I am with Lee on this.

Putting money into a questionable cabinet just isn't worth the trouble. Building a new cabinet isn't super expensive nor terribly difficult. If it were a good quality custom cabinet that was just somewhat dated and you were looking for an update, then some type of re-face could be a possibility. But if it were a good quality cabinet you may find it difficult to knock a face frame off without causing a major destruct!

I once reasoned like the OP, but life and experience has taught me that some things just aren't worth doing if you cannot do it the right way!

If I were the OP and just looking for a quick and easy facelift, then I would do some kind of paint treatment and would save up to build the replacement.

If I were the OP and just looking for a quick and easy facelift, then I would do some kind of paint treatment and would save up to build the replacement.
    but then you aren't him nor are you married to his wife

seriously though i have done both methods depending on the overall condition of existing cabinet/s though i would suggest not gluing the new face frame to the old cabinet and using pocket screws to hold it , then if or when a new cabinet is in order (read affordable and wanted) its a simple thing to detach the face frame and use it on a new cabinet

just a thought