Thread: New Shop in an old "workshop".

New Shop in an old "workshop".

LOML found the perfect retirement home. A garden (actually an orchard) for her and a 5-car garage ( read workshop) for me. Now that we are proud owners, here is what the shop has...

It is divided into a 3 and 2 car section by a wall. Naturally, the three-car part will be the shop. Roughly, it is 23 x 35 feet with garage doors on the front and a single "man door on one side.

Inside, the walls are finished with drywall and it has a finished ceiling with an insulated attic. There is a "half bath" included in that area. Further, it is wired with a 100-amp subpanel.

The location is in Southern California. It will need some heat in the winter and cooling in the summer, but there is no easy gas source for a heater, so that looks like another propane tank -- code permitting.

I have tools from my existing shop going there -- including an Oneida 2hp Commercial DC. The subpanel needs rework to add another 3 220v circuits for my tools. The only drawback is an 8-foot ceiling.

First and foremost, the DC will go in the center of the back wall positioning it no more than 23 feet from any point in the shop. Is the 8-foot ceiling going to be a problem?

Any other suggestions as I begin planning my new shop?
    Fred

"Precision woodscraps"

Fred, put the dust collector ( and air compressor if you have one) in the 2 car part of the garage and run duct work ( air line) into the shop it will free up some shop space and help out big time for all the noise these two machines make and you should also still be able to park the cars.
    Richard
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

good idea.

If I do that, there willbe a 35-plus foot run from one end to the other. Anyone ever had experience with runs that long?
    Fred

"Precision woodscraps"

Gibsons British Columbia Canada ( near Vancouver )
    Quote Originally Posted by richard poitras View Post
    Fred, put the dust collector ( and air compressor if you have one) in the 2 car part of the garage and run duct work ( air line) into the shop it will free up some shop space and help out big time for all the noise these two machines make and you should also still be able to park the cars.
    Richard
    Fred:

This is a gloatworthy story in many ways!!

The duct run should not be a problem if sized properly, but I am not an expert in that regard.

However, putting the DC in another room that is seperated by a wall will make the shop negative when running.
    This can suck the heated and / or cooled air out. Just something to remember.

Good Luck -

Dave Beauchesne

Blog Entries
    Gloat worthy is right! PICS!!!!!!!!!!
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

I moved from the San Francisco Bay Area in 2001. At that time, utility rates were high throughout CA. One of the 1st things I would do is insulate the shop walls to contain heating and cooling costs as utility rates and propane are not going to become any cheaper....
    Last edited by Ray Newman; 01-04-2011 at 3:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Beauchesne View Post
    Fred:

However, putting the DC in another room that is seperated by a wall will make the shop negative when running.
    This can suck the heated and / or cooled air out. Just something to remember.

Good Luck -

Dave Beauchesne

Just put the filter back inside the shop area
    Thank You
    Ed

If you have any money left look into having the ceiling raised. If this is the retirement shop it maybe worth the extra money for 2 or 3 more ft in height.

Sounds like its going to be a great setup.

My shop ceiling is 8.5', and it hasn't been a "problem"... But I don't like it. It makes me feel cramped. IF you have the $$ to do it, and it isn't too much work, raise that sucker 2', or just call it good...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...