Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Small cabinet

Small cabinet

I recently found an interesting piece of spalted butternut at Tom Sontag's Lumber Logs and decided to slice it up into veneers and build a small cabinet for a printer. The frame, top and other parts are qs sycamore and the handle is ebony. Thanks for looking.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Well done, sir. That is a very attractive piece.

George
    Very well done.
    Mike

Very nice. A great combination.

George, Very nice design. Could you explain how you "slice it up into veneers"? What size bandsaw, blade type, thickness you ended up with? Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks John

Wow...that is gorgeous. I absolutely love the curve detail on the legs, and that beautiful piece of butternut you found certainly spices things up :-)

John
    I have a rather pedesrian16" jet bandsaw with a 1" laguna blade and a laguna resaw fence. It cuts well but is limited to a 10" resaw height. I slice the veneers at. .090 thick and drum sand one side to about .070 to .080 thickness.
    George

excellent work. I love spalted maple ( who doesn't? ) and I have found one good piece.... seems as though the online pieces that come go rather quick. How about the knife hinges? was this your first set? any tips? I am currently working on my first Krenov style cabinet.... and it is a coming out okay... but my biggest scare is the knife hinges....

Very nice project, I like it a lot. The spalted maple really sets it apart.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

John
    I have installed knife hinges before but this was my first experience with the inset type. I may a jig to route the mortises in the frame and door. This made everything line up well. I cut the door to about 1/32" smaller than the opening and trimmed it after the hinge mortises were cut. Good luck on your installation. I look forward to seeing you Krenov style cabinet.
    George

I really like how you employed that spalted stock, George. Nice work!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

George,

I'm a leg man! I absolutely love the gentle slope at the bottom of the legs. Aside from the beautiful spalting, I think your detail on those legs make the piece.

Blog Entries
    What a cool looking piece. Prestigeous digs for a printer. Well done.

Nice looking composition George. The combination of woods and subtle curves really work well together.

That spalted butternut really sets this one off.
    Nice work George.