Thread: Woodturning Design, Pendants: A Family Project

Woodturning Design, Pendants: A Family Project

Had the pleasure of being asked to write an article for current issue (February) of Woodturning Design magazine and did so with my 17 year old daughter. Have gotten several emails from woodturners who couldn't contact the maker of the pendant backer plate, Richard Joyner. His correct email address is Richard@creativependesign.com. It was my error.

Since writing the article my wife and daughters have gotten very involved in making necklaces for the pendants and the pendants have become quite popular. I stongly encourage everyone to get their family involved in their woodturning. I know it adds a lot to my enjoyment of it and it's now become a true family project.

Lately, I've been using a chatter tool purchased from coolhammers.com on both wood and acrylic pendants and sometimes using a woodburner for some very simple designs. Here are a few recent examples using those techniques.

DSC01058 (450 x 600).jpg DSC01053 (450 x 600).jpgDSC01056 (450 x 600).jpgDSC01015 (450 x 600).jpgDSC01052 (450 x 600).jpg

Those look great! Looking forward to getting my issue. David

Great looking pendents Bill. Looking forward to the article.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I was told that the gentleman that makes the pendent jig now only sells it through Ruth Niles website .$50.00 plus shipping I'm thinking about ordering one.
    Harry

Bill, I enjoyed the article!! And, you have a nice looking family, as well. Great to have your girls involved with you in the process.

I assume the second pendant is acrylic? Very nice pattern on that one!

They look really nice, great to get the whole family involved. I too am awaiting my issue, thanks for the article.

I have read your article and very nicely done. I do plan on making a couple pendants for my niece. I also had the pleasure of being asked to write an article for current issue (February) of Woodturning Design magazine. Maybe we will meet again in future issues.
    Jeff
    "There's is only one way to turn wood....Safely"

Bill - congrats on the article! Pretty cool to get published!

Beautiful work on the pendants! Congrats also on finding a way to get the family involved! Seriously sounds like fun!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Thanks for the encouragement, guys.

John, that one is acrylic. Ordered the acrylic blanks from exoticblanks.com and that one is called "ivory." Didn't think acrylic would be workable with a chatter tool but after a little experimentation by ramping up the lathe speed, honing the tool to the max and using the chatter tool minimally, they turned very well.

Jeff, Had already read and enjoyed your article on the "WineO" and checked out your website afterwards. That's a first- class site.

Hi Bill,

Very nice! Would it be possible to post the 3 photos of the necklaces that are in the article? I'd like to show them to my nieces to see if they are interested in having me make necklaces like this for them *before* I purchase the pendant backer plate. My hunch is some of them would like the corian whereas others would prefer wood. Thanks!

Karen

Quote Originally Posted by Karen Young View Post
    Hi Bill,

Very nice! Would it be possible to post the 3 photos of the necklaces that are in the article? I'd like to show them to my nieces to see if they are interested in having me make necklaces like this for them *before* I purchase the pendant backer plate. My hunch is some of them would like the corian whereas others would prefer wood. Thanks!

Karen
    Karen, Some of the photos were taken by Woodturning Design's staff so I don't have copies. If you PM me your email address, I'll send what photos I have of the pendants. I have been very surprised by the popularity of the pendants when completed by my two daughters with beads. We also sold over 20 pendants to a bead shop and they are selling them for $22 and giving my daughters $18 of that, which alone will pay for Richard Joyner's pendant backer plate.

Nicely done Bill. And congratulations on the article. That's gotta feel pretty good.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson