Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Acrylic sign bases

Acrylic sign bases

I'm routing a sign in some 1/2 inch cell cast acrylic. I'd like to display it in an edge lighted base. For those of you that have done this already, did you purchase or build the base? Soldering a few leds with resistors and a power supply is not a problem, but finding something to house it all is. Maybe some aluminum channel?

Thanks,
    Dave

Dave,

I'm working on one now. I purchased a 12" long LED light from Lowes, I am designing a Corian base to house the light bar. The LED light bar I have doesn't require any soldering, just mount it in the base and plug it in. It doesn't produce any heat and is barely warm to the touch so a closed base shouldn't be a problem.

I asked the same question a week ago and Tony Lenkic gave this answer, I haven't tried them yet.

"This may be site you should check out.
    http://www.vytekdirect.com/ct_CGlighting.htm

Also you can go to this forum section and click
    "Engraving and CNC links to suppliers" and scroll down to
    link to "LaserSketch"."

Good Luck and keep us posted.
    Ray
    mary ann art

Vytek

Vytek uses an aluminum channel. It's not really cheap so if you are wanting to resell, it really isn't cost-effective.

I'm looking into an inexpensive lighted base, myself. I would be interested in learning more as to how people are handling this.

I've got to believe China has an answer!

Jim

I don't know the prices, but here's a place that sells lighted wooden bases:

http://www.precisionlaserart.com./index.php?page=bases
    Dave Jones -- Epilog Mini-24, 45 watt, CorelDraw X3, Creative Suite CS2

Precision Laser Art

A lighted base for a 4" acrylic is $33.00. That price would make it hard to resell, too. I need cheap, cheap, cheap!!!

It is a really nice base, though!

Jim

That was their dealer price? I have seen what I'm fairly sure were those same products sold through a retailer for $30-$35. And the retailer obviously was making a profit.
    Dave Jones -- Epilog Mini-24, 45 watt, CorelDraw X3, Creative Suite CS2

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten
    Dave,

I'm working on one now. I purchased a 12" long LED light from Lowes, I am designing a Corian base to house the light bar. The LED light bar I have doesn't require any soldering, just mount it in the base and plug it in. It doesn't produce any heat and is barely warm to the touch so a closed base shouldn't be a problem.

Can it be cut down to make it shorter? Do you have a price.

I went to Radio Shack today for some super bright LEDs. I should have something together by the weekend.
    Thanks,

Dave

LED Bases

These are very easy to make with your laser. Take a piece of black (or any other acrylic) and cut out a box using the laser. For the top cut an opening the exact thickness of the material you are using. Glue the acryling together using Weld On. I usually place a small nub on the backside of the top so it cannot slide around but is removable. Place your led in the bottom right on the edge of the acrylic so the acrylic sits on the LED's. We use LED's from US LED but most LED manufacturers LED's will work fine. They can be powered with batteries or transformer.

No laser yet. Soon though...

I built a DIY CNC router and carved out the logo. I routed a slot in some oak and wired 3 jumbo leds. Runs of a 12v transformer.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dave,

The LED light bar from Lowes was $15.00 on sale for $8.00. I wish they had some 4" or 6" models. These are fabricated light bars or sticks so they can't be cut down or modified. They are 110 volt and really nice, basically a round light fixture that is just under an inch in diameter.

Portfolio LED Light Source Accent Strip

By the way nice job on the aligator logo.

Here is one I put together from scratch. I dont have any pictures of it but maybe someone can build it and post a pic. I made mine work with 2 9V batteries and a switch.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Lowe's Light Strip

Keith

Do you have a part number on the light strip you bought. The folks at Lowe's here in Cheyenne thought I was from Mars when I asked them. They did have a 24 inch incandescent model but that is no way going to work. If you still have the part number from the box, they will have the ability to look it up on the computer.

James,

The Lowes sticker on the box has the following information.

12" Megalife Linkable LED Wand
    Item # 35426 N Model # GL9012-WH-I
    Bar Code 0755284008135

Light Strip

Thank you. I will go back this evening and talk with someone with a little more seniority with the organization.

V/R

Jamie