Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: which electric wire?

which electric wire?

This topic may have been covered already but....
    Which is better a solid romex wire or a braided extension-cord type? I'm running this cord to a 5 hp clearvue which is about 20 feet from the outlet (30-amp). I have both (each is 10 gauge) but am wondering which would be the best choice. This will (hopefully) complete my over-a-year-long cyclone project!
    Thoughts?
    Jeff

I absolutely wouldn't use Romex for a cord.

You can not use NM (Romex) for a cord. It's not approved for that.
    If your unit was hard wired and affixed so that it didn't move, then you could get away with NM.

Blog Entries
    I'm with Matt, solid core wire should not be used where it will be called upon to flex as a matter of routine. I don't believe code allows the use of solid core wire for extension cords.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I would run a new circuit to the location of the DC.

Thanks for the input guys.
    I can run a new circuit but it would have to be through conduit on the outside of the wall. In use this wire will not be flexed and the unit will not move. It's a clearvue cyclone housed within a sound dampening closet so it's gonna stay put. In order to meet code I know I'll either have to use an approved extension cord or run romex through an approved conduit. But as I have both wires on-hand I'm wondering which will conduct the electrons more efficiently?
    Some day I hope to have a shop on its own panel so I can install a switch to turn off power to all machines....

Not an expert but i think that's not allowed:

NEC Rules
    The National Electrical Code contains some rules for using extension cords. Some of the rules state that
    extension cords are not permitted to be used:
    As a substitute for the fixed wiring of a structure;
    Where run through holes in walls, structural ceilings, suspended ceilings, dropped ceilings, or floors;
    Where run through doorways, windows, or similar openings;
    • Where concealed behind building walls, structural ceilings, suspended ceilings, dropped ceilings, or
    floors.

Blog Entries
    Jeff,

If this machine can be moved, via vibration, pushing, etc. (even if you don't intend to move it), Romex should not be used. Solid wire is not flexible enough to handle a lot of movement, which eventually leads to opens, arcing, and fires.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

And you can't run romex in conduit.

I don't believe it's allowed to run any extension cord of any type in a conduit. The OP has stated that he is concerned with meeting "code"...I think the only way for him to do that is run a new circuit or extend the existing circuit into the DC room, install the appropriate receptacle, and simply plug the DC in there.

Well, it looks like if I run an extension cord of proper gauge I'd be good as far as code is concern; but that leaves an extension cord across the shop. I like George's idea of running a new circuit and plugging in right next to the unit. But if you can't run romex or a braided extension type cord through conduit, what type of wire can be run through conduit????

I don't think you can for the reasons I posted, but I'm no expert. But run 10 ga THHN/THWN single conductor for the hots and ground.
    Last edited by George Bregar; 01-05-2011 at 12:53 PM.

I would also run a new circuit, using THHN wire in suitable Conduit. Whether the extension cord is allowable by NEC code would not be my problem, it would be the 20ft trip hazard.

It's also amazing how, if we drop something it always lands where we don't want it to. Causing more damage.

Blog Entries
    I own a Clearvue and it is bolted into the wall. Trust me, there will be vibration! I would strongly recommend braided extension cord. +2 on George's idea of extending the existing circuit. However, I would skip the receptacle and hard-wire the DC using a dual pole contactor controlled via RF remote (Christmas tree light remote, etc.). Having a remote for your DC is very nice!. It should cost you about $75 for the parts (enclosure, contactor, remote).

Jeff, you can run individual braided wires through conduit. For my shop I used steel Wiremold product (4000 series) and various spools of conduit rated braided wire. This setup takes a bit longer because you need to pull 3+ wires for each circuit but you'll get greater flexibility in the end. If I need to add a circuit I can simply pop off the wiremold covers, add the new wiring, and install the circuit (boxes fit into the conduit). The conduit is rated for a maximum number of 'hot' wires.

As an inspector if romex is used it needs to be in the wall and protected It cannot be stapled or secured to wall sheathing. If exposed? run EMT to a junction box near the unit and pull appropriate sized stranded wire rated to be run in the EMT (THHN). Then use flex such as raintight or metal flexible conduit to the motor or relay and take it from there.

Good Luck

Alan