Thread: Reverse turning with a ONEWAY TALON chuck

Reverse turning with a ONEWAY TALON chuck

I have a Jet 1014VS lathe that I'm replacing the circuit board on and at the same time I will be adding a switch to allow reverse turning. I have a ONEWAY TALON chuck. Is there a way to lock the chuck for reverse turning. I noticed some threaded holes on the thread adaptor that could be used for installing set screws but I dont want to damage the threads on the head stock. Any ideas?

Mike, the threaded holes are there for set screws to be used for reverse turning. However, Oneway has designed their chucks to be used for reverse turning on Oneway lathes which have a hardened spindle with a groove for the set screw. I have a Oneway lathe and Oneway chucks. Much of my turning is done in reverse (I'm a lefty) on my outboard bed and the set screws make it completely safe.

The spindle on the Jet mini is made of steel that is possibly softer than the set screws, so continued use would probably mess up the spindle threads. I suggest that it would be okay for sanding in reverse but not actual turning.

Wally

I have a new Oneway Talon that I will be using on my Craftex CT128N (I believe same spindle as a Grizzly GO698 ) and the set screws jut hit the very last thread on the spindle. I have read a forum where a person sugested taking a Dremel and just remove the thread where the set screw hits. That way you will get a good bite on the spindle. I don't think , if this was done, you would ever spin the chuck off and ruin your spindle. That what I plan on doing. Now I will be doing very little reverse turning just mainly for sanding. My opinion only

4. Quote Originally Posted by Frank Denny View Post
    I have a new Oneway Talon that I will be using on my Craftex CT128N (I believe same spindle as a Grizzly GO698 ) and the set screws jut hit the very last thread on the spindle. I have read a forum where a person sugested taking a Dremel and just remove the thread where the set screw hits. That way you will get a good bite on the spindle. I don't think , if this was done, you would ever spin the chuck off and ruin your spindle. That what I plan on doing. Now I will be doing very little reverse turning just mainly for sanding. My opinion only
    Frank,

That was my post most likely that you got that from. I did take a dremel tool with a pointed grinding stone on it and made a small recess in the last thread on my spindle for the set screw to have a place to seat correctly.........it also keeps the thread from being damaged by the screw as long as you back the screw out when removing the chuck. It has really been a good thing, and protective of the spindle threads and adds a safety measure to the hold of the chuck when reversing.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Mike - Welcome to the Creek!

I have a Talon chuck and use the set screws all the time! I have a Jet 1642 and have had no problems with the set screws messing with the threads. Not sure about your lathe - on my spindle, the threads stop about 1/2" from the headstock - so the set screws have plenty of steel to grab to. It does mar the surface of the steel - but as long as I remember back off the set screws about 5 half turns before removing the chuck from the lathe - they have no contact with the spindle threads at all.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

You can always do what I did with my 1442. Cut short lengths of brass rod that will drop into the screw holes. Then install the set screws. The soft brass will conform to the spindle threads and prevent damage. The brass will expand somewhat in the screw holes such that backing out the set screws does not fully release the brass from the spindle. This will add a little friction when installing/removing the chuck. It will also keep the brass from dropping out when the chuck is off the spindle.

Thanks folks for the input. Your tips and suggestions are most informative. I've looked at my threads and on the mini the threads go all the way to the headstock spindle shoulder. I think the idea of milling a recess in the last thread would be the most secure but I think I'll try Scott's method first and brass will act as a sacraficial buffer. Thanks again for your help.