Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Overhead Dust collection drop to Table saw

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Cameron View Post
    Any further comment?
    I checked with Grizzly prior to ordering and they stated there is no issue with the positional relationship, rotation-wise between the intake and the output for the blower. It has worked out great as far as reducing the footprint, making the filter scrubber handles easy to reach and duct routing. My only regret (and it is a small one) is that I couldn't shoe-horn a G0441 into that spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Cameron View Post
    I also plan to mount the filter assembly on a separate wall (to make it fit the space better). Do you seen any issue with this outside of maybe getting a longer flex hose?
    This gets into some science I am not prepared for ;-) I do not know how the additional capcitive load of the air mass in the extended hose between filter and blower may or may not affect things. A call to Grizzly would be your best bet.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

You can move the dust canister away from the saw with minimal inpact but I would not use flex if it can be avoided. Spiral pipe and sweep fittings have much less resistance and make for a rigid installation. If you call your furnace and hvac guys, they may have a boneyard of spiral from jobs that can be had pretty cheap. The spiral isn't so expensive, the fittings are where the money goes but it is also not all bad to be able to change it out. Seems like I change my mind on layout as often as my wife changes her shoes. Dave

This is the best one for a few reasons....

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...n-from-the-top

It does not need fixing to the saw so presents no obstruction and does not choke the air as the timber is pushed through as most do. No air flow, no dust pick up.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

OK, I started a reply last night, was close to finishing and we lost power. Normally not a big problem, but the battery for my APC back up is out...new one will be here tomorrow. So here I go a second time, hopefully before the power goes back out. (Didn't come back on until 10:30 this morning.)
    I missed the posts asking about the horizontal movement of the overhead guards. Yes, that is an issue as well as front to back movement. But it's easy to take care of. I used 2 pieces of Oak, 3/4" thick, 2" wide, and about 38" long. Routed a 7/16" slot in the center for about 14" at one end. and a single hole at the other end of each as a pivot point. I have one mounted to the rear, and one to the right side to stabilize the mounting arm. You can still move the head some, but not enough to be a problem. Here's a picture. DSCN2756.jpg I used 3/8" bolts with fender washers, and a couple of knobs to tighten it down in position. Easy project to do and finish. This setup allows me to raise the whole thing up against the ceiling to get it out of the way when need requires. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

I have followed Alan Schafter's which I posted the link to, it has no movement and no need for lateral stabilisers. I used no flex pipe so fixing the sloping pipe to the roof and joining the ducting from the ceiling makes it rigid and it does not move, the lower part hinges back to clear the saw as does Alan's. It is not finished yet as I am waiting on the brushes. I built it in 4" as it is open the same time as the cabinet port and the cabinet port works extremely well which I was surprised at as everyone says they are hard to make work.
    Chris

Yes Chris, I remember Alan's design, and it is a good working unit. It still has a 3 point mount to stabilize the unit, it's just that it's a fixed design instead of a floating design. One is not better than the other, just different. I do wonder if there is a way to change that design so that it hinges farther toward the ceiling thus allowing more of it to be out of the way if the need were to arise, yet still keep it stable. Hmmmm... Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Jim. it could be done, hinge it further up and use a rope and pulley system. As I said above I have no movement issues because I did not use flexible pipe. The reason I did not use flex pipe was because I did not want to slow the flow down and as a result it has turned out very well. I suck at posting pictures but I will give it a go.

The main reason I liked Alan's was the fact that at no time is the air flow impeded or reduced and his is the only one I have seen that has zero impact on air flow. When a rigid guard/dust pick up rests on a piece of timber with and that timber slides under the guard it reduces air flow to the point that some become nearly fully sealed, no air in = no air out as we all know. Alan's might not have an unimpeded air flow, pretty obvious really, but it would never be totally blocked and thus stall the air. I am thinking that these dust hoods need an inlet port to let air in and have a high speed flow through them to catch and suspend the dust so it goes out the DE port. I think I will build one and see how it goes.
    Last edited by Chris Parks; 04-24-2011 at 9:32 PM.
    Chris