Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finished end table(s) pics

Finished end table(s) pics

I finished the end tables this morning. Overall, I'm less than thrilled with them...but they were built for me to begin with, so they'll fit right it in with the rest of the 'prototypes' we have in the house.

Here's the drawer unit.

What gripes me no end (already!) is how the bottom drawer front comes nowhere near matching the top two. All three came from the same board, cut side by side out of the length. I had enough width to cut the top two out of one 14" piece, and the big one the next 14", but I would've had to fill some boo-boos if I did that...so I went the other way. Didn't realize it was gonna look like hell. You can see the color and figure change at the right edge of the bottom drawer. I also coulda made the drawers maybe 1/16" wider. The gap at the sides isn't necessarily objectionable (looks bigger than it is in the pic), but it could be less. I used center mount Accuride slides for the drawers.

The other one I'm almost happy with, except the dark top really sticks out. And even though it doesn't really bother me, everybody that told me the top apron shoulda been a bit bigger was right.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

But what REALLY irritates me is that I forgot the damn reclining controls are on the side of the couch...and the tables are too big now. I guess that's what I get for making something for KC...

Thanks for looking!

I personally think that they look great! The "mistakes" are just learning experiences and won't show up next time.

I just wished that my mistakes looked like that! Mine go in the burn pile

Great work!!!!
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

KC,

Looks good to me too!

Wow! I think you're being hard on yourself. I look at those pieces and see wonderful craftsmanship above all else. Great work. How did you cut the dovetails?

Ron

Very nice work Kirk!!
    Jerry

Nah. I don't think that those are problems with your project. That is just the natural beauty of wood. There will always be variences in the finish.

Dan
    A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish.

KC, I still think they are really nice, and as I said before, I personally like that dark top. In the picture where they are in place by the couch, I see what you are saying about the bottom drawer kinda standing out with the more plain grain pattern, but no worries, I have the solution. Just leave it as is for now, but as you do other projects, keep your eyes open for another board that closely matches the grain of the top two drawers, and if you find one, just make another drawer and replace the bottom one. You can always use that drawer on some other project where it will match the grain closely, and nothing is wasted. (See...........Simple solution.)

Just curious, but roughly, what is the going rate in your area now for Mesquite. I realize there is always a spread, depending on the quality of the wood.

KC,
    I think the pieces show alot of great craftsmanship and the fact that you've come up with design issues that you will change next time will make you an even better craftsman. Like you said they are prototypes. I think they are very nice.
    John

KC, I couldn't agree more. They stink! I can smell them all the way up here, they're so bad. Thus, my open offer to take them off your hands!!!

Okay, seriously now. I haven't been able to figure out why you're not extatic about these. I'd be proud as a peacock to call those mine. So go easy on yourself. And if you can't stand to look at them anymore, I'm sure there are a thousand and one people who'd pay good money to own those tables.

KC, ditto to what the other guys have said, especially Jason! It would cost just a bit more to ship them out to me, but no worries...I'll cover it! I think they're just fine and the craftsmanship is your usual superb! The top is absolutely no problem and the drawer is just the wood speaking for itself. Don't sweat it! Nice job!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

By the way the dovetails look Awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Robinson
    Wow! I think you're being hard on yourself. I look at those pieces and see wonderful craftsmanship above all else. Great work. How did you cut the dovetails?

Ron
    Thank you.

Dovetails were shamelessy cut with the PorterCable 4112 jig.

Norman, good clean mesquite from reliable sources around here will go anywhere from $6-15 BF, depending on width, length, thickness. Number 2 (and worse) can be had for less.

Like it!

it's a learning experience... at every step of the way make sure you are liking where the project is going at that moment. if you ever feel like you slipped and made a compromise, then fix it and continue... you should always like it. and try it out. you can't do enough tests, trials and dry assemblies to ensure your design happiness

looks great! of course we all like what you did as you can see by the comments
    love makes life happen

KC -

They look just fine to me. I know you weren't happy with the way the top turned out, the drawer front, the top apron, etc. Any chance you are being a little too picky?

Good work as usual!

Regards,
    Ted