Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite way to cut mortise and tenons

Favorite way to cut mortise and tenons

What is you favorite way to produce M&T joints (not floating tenons)?

I tend to like a square chisel mortiser and tenons cut on the band saw but curious how others feel. I have never used a FMT, only seen it demoed and they obviously make it look quick and easy.

I like to cut a ring around the end of the board for the tennon with the table saw and a miter guage.. It makes a nice clean edge.. Then remove up to the saw kerf with the bandsaw. I use a chisel to make the final fit to the mortise. I have a full size hollow chisel mortiser with a built in X-Y vice which is a real bonus for the mortises..

I use this CMT Tennon cutting router bit to cut the tennon using a home made sled on my router table, then I cut the mortise using a dedicated mortiser with a cross-slide vise. Slick set up!

I use a hollow chisel mortiser for the mortise, and a sliding table shaper for the tenon..........Regards, Rod.

P.S. I just realized that with all the new snazzy methods of doing the above, I'm back a hundred years.

I'd rather not use any method that limits the length of the tenon, since length and strength often go together in joinery.

A horizontal slot mortiser is, by far, the fastest and most accurate method I've used to make mortises (I've never used either a Maka or a chain mortiser, though). Angled work is easy, as is mortising the ends of boards of whatever length (try that on a hollow chisel mortiser ).

For the tenon: Dado blades on the table saw with the work run flat, using a sliding table or miter gauge; very accurate and quite fast -- one setup cuts both cheeks and shoulders (vs using a tenon jig).

In my experience, it's then easiest to round the tenon corners rather than chop the mortises square.

[Of course, if you're not working against the clock, then whatever method works is fine, including entirely by hand.]
    Last edited by Frank Drew; 01-06-2011 at 9:31 AM.

Blog Entries
    Tablesaw and tenon jig for tenons, router and chisel for motrise.

Hollow chisel mortiser for mortises and dado blade to rough out tenons to about 1/32" oversize then pare shoulders & cheeks to fit mortise

For straightforward M&T (that is, parts meet at 90 degrees/90degrees)... plunge router for the mortise, and tablesaw for the tenon. I make the cheek cuts with the workpiece standing vertical against the fence. For longer tenons, the bandsaw.

For tricky M&T (odd angles and such, as in chairs)... loose tenons. Plunge router for the mortise, jigged up to provide correct angle.

I use a bunch of methods... I guess it all depends on my mood and how much stuff I have to move around. I have a General mortiser, a Leigh FMT, a nice tenoning jig, hand planes, and chisels. For ease, it is hard to beat the FMT... and I now completely love floating tenons... because the math is so easy!

Old School

I use an obsidian adze of the appropriate size from my hand-made collection to hollow out the mortise and a sharpened mammoth tusk from a Siberian mammoth I personally found stuck in a glacier to fashion the tenon.

Er, is this too soon in the thread to start that?

Fine. Spoilsports.

I use a tenoning jig on my table saw to cut the whatchamacallits and a hollow chisel mortiser for that other part.

If I can't use my Leigh FMT, I change projects. Just kidding some, but it is great to use.

Router & my fixturing for tenons and morticing.

Pretty, Pat.

Shame to have to hide them ... by assembling the joint

Blog Entries
    I cut my mortices frst using a square chisel morticer on my drill press. I cleanup the mortices with a hand chisel and then fit the tenons to them. I make eh shoulder cuts on the tenon first on my table saw and make eh cheek cuts using a tenonning jig on my TS. I get flat sides on the tenons and can tweak the fit to my mortices.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

For the Mortise: pigsticker or hollow chisel mortiser

For the tenon: Handsaw, chisel, and router plane