Thread: Vinyl Plotter for window stickers.

Vinyl Plotter for window stickers.

I've never thought about getting a plotter, because everybody and there brother has one around here. But we have a very good friend that wants us to make several tributes to their brother who recently passed away.

One of the tributes they want are the vinyl graphics you see on the back of windshields. They insist that we try to do it, "because the company they talked to were rude".

This evening I priced some small plotters at USCutters and suprisingly not expensive. I don't see needing a large machine to do this specific task.

All I want to do right now is this type application. If someone wouldn't mind suggesting machine type, materials, tools and maybe a link to a video on this application would be appriciated.

Thanks,
    Anthony
    "No man is a failure who has friends." -Clarence

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education. - Mark Twain

Anthony Welch
    Laurel,MS

Epilog Legend EX 45watt, Corel Draw 12 & x3, Photograv, Wacom tablet 4x5, ShopBot PRS96x48 w/spindle, airbrush and shop full of tools.

Blog Entries
    As you've found, the USCutters are quite inexpensive and for this simple application you'll be more than happy with even the lowest model they sell.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

They also have a forum where you can get machine specific advice and help.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Software? Now that can be expensive.
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

"what you talkin' about Willis"... will Corel Draw not work with these machines?
    "No man is a failure who has friends." -Clarence

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education. - Mark Twain

Anthony Welch
    Laurel,MS

Epilog Legend EX 45watt, Corel Draw 12 & x3, Photograv, Wacom tablet 4x5, ShopBot PRS96x48 w/spindle, airbrush and shop full of tools.

Sorta. You'll need a software package to tell it what to cut. There are options when you cut, like which color to cut, border, weed lines horizontal or vertical (or both), tiling, etc.

I can't speak for what US cutter uses now, but when we bought our machine from them years ago, it was SignCutX2. It had a software dongle on it, so you had to pay a subscription to use it. No pay, no cut It checks with the internet to make sure each time you launched it.

With the Graphtec (read as "more expensive") there is a plugin for Corel, it goes from Corel into their "CutMaster" dialog boxes and you can set all the parameters from there and send it to the plotter. So no dongle, no software to buy, but a more expensive machine.

Hope that makes sense of it.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

I have a Roland GX24, which is not cheap, but works good, it does go up to 24" wide. Graphtek also make them.

Maybe somethign like this just for small applications.

http://www.signsupply.com/Hardware/G...Silhouette.asp

http://www.signsupply.com/Hardware/EasyCut/Easycut.asp
    Dave W. -
    Restoring an 1890 Victorian
    Cuba, NY

I will throw my 2 cents in since I was in the same boat as you starting up... Bought the US Cutter unit.... Was Busy and it sat unopened... Then I saw I wanted to make printed stickers.... I talked to US Cutter and they let me trade in un opened my US Cutter with me paying the shipping back. I then got a Graphtec FC 7000-60 with the ability to read Corel Registration Marks. I still have not used this feature but the Plotter has payed for itself as many will post... The FC7000 would give you options.... You could even Silk Screen Stickers with the sheets having the registration marks and with Corel cut out the stickers...

Spend some time on You Tube looking at cutter plotter videos... A real education...

There is a market for Reflective Stickers.... Even Epoxy Domed Stickers.... Check You Tube on Doming too....

Buying a Cutter Plotter is like buying a Chop Saw for Wood.... You find more and more uses for it all the time...

With the pen option, find end rolls of news print and for example... I am going to cut out some letters from 3/4 inch PVC Board using my CarveWright then use the paper pen plot to scale to mount them on a building. You could print the letters full size on news print and spray glue them to wood and cut out the letters with a saber saw.... A few small jobs and you buy more equipment....

Good Luck,

AL
    Last edited by AL Ursich; 01-08-2011 at 8:11 PM.
    1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".