Thread: Grizzley Jointer Fence

Grizzley Jointer Fence

Just got a new 8 inch Grizzley jointer for Christmas. It has the spiral cutter head which seems to work great. But I can't get the fence to square to the table at the ends and middle. The fence appears to be slightly twisted. So I called Grizzley and they sent a new fence. It was even worse. It wasn't quite straight along the length and was dished vertically. Am I asking too much for the fence to be square to the tables all along the length of the fence? Now I have it square right at the cutter and it seems to give square edges as long as I concentrate on keeping it flat to the fence right at the cutter. I have another call into Grizzley technical service to see what they say or recommend. Anyone out there experience something similar?

Do you have a straight edge to give an objective value to the twist and or bow?

Blog Entries
    One bad fence maybe but two is suspicious. What are you using to determine the fence to table relationship? Please don't start to mess with your tables until you are certain of the fence. You don't want to go there if you don't have to.

The amount of variance you describe should be easy to check with a good quality straightedge and some feeler gauges. I found it easier to check the fence with it off the jointer. I laid it on its "back", set the straightedge on it and checked for gaps going from one end to the other. Grizzly can tell you what is in spec. As an example; something like no greater than .008" over the entire surface meaning that, the difference between the greatest concave spot and the greatest convex spot will be no more than X amount whatever it is.

Caution, you do not want to try to compensate for a misaligned machine via technique. If the path is no good you are probably applying greater force than is safe. Especially as you describe it, right near the cutterhead; that is where things should be moving along with minimal effort.

My G0490X came with a flaw in the fence that I felt was out of spec. The second fence was fine. The fence must provide a correct and reliable path across the cutters. Variance in your 90*, 45* or what have you will result in a bad cut over the length of the material.

thanks. I have a decent straight edge. It seems to be straight since I get the same error regardless of whether I use one edge or the opposite edge. I'm still waiting on Grizzley to tell me what is in spec. I can get the fence pretty square at the extreme end of the fence on the outfeed table and simultaneously pretty square at the outfeed and infeed tables on each side of the cutter. But with these positions square, it is out at the end of the fence at the infeed table maybe .015 inches measuring between the fence and the square. I agree, I've very hesitant to adjust the tables expecially since they seem to work fine during face planing.

If we assume that one of the two tables (in/out feed) are flat, how does the fence (laid face down on the table) compare referenced to the feed tables? I am trying to rule out and issue the the measurement at 90 degrees for a second verification of the warpage.

Both seem flat. When I lay the bare fence on either, one corner sticks up indicating the twist in the fence. Still have not heard from Grizley.

Blog Entries
    I am wondering how this ever turned out. Can we get an update?
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler