Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oneway owners and users??????

Oneway owners and users??????

I am at a point of upgrading. owned a powermatic, but still wanted MAYO.

Is there any bad feedback or good on the ONEWAY 2436 or customer service,
    that someone can tell me.
    I know it's expensive and can get another Mustard power but keep leaning towards the 2436..... last lathe I want to buy, I like doing big turning's. Have reserched others and still come back to the same feeling's.....

I like hollow forms so I feel the VB is out, have been looking at the ROBUST as a close 2nd do to the stainless steal bedways as a standard.

When I had the PM never moved the head stock for bowls so not thinkink it will be a issue, will have a 3hp and break resistor, plus 96 indexing put on when ordering. And thinking of the stainless steal bedways also but $800 is alot

Have not really turned in three years do to DIVORCE and winning custody of two little girls, and a whole lot more of murphys law. Have a workers comp. case coming up and will bank most of it but want my TOY. Had to sell PM and some other stuff to pay lawyers But well worth it in the long run.

Dream of turning everyday, when i started bought a new mini lathe Delta, week later got a used Jet and a week after that bought the powermatic. Plus vacume, tools and all kind of stuff, when the VORTEX bug bites it bites HARD.

Went to a friends house and turned for a weekend and was just like riding a bike and the feeling was still there, So this is why I am asking, only want to buy my last LATHE, with out the feeling ofwanting more. Friends was a PM also....

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR TIME

I don't have a 2436; I have a 1640 and love it. Oneway's customer service is outstanding. I have owned this lathe for maybe 8 years and every time I enter the shop I think how glad I am to be using it.
    Barbara in Remlik Virginia

I've owned my 1640 with outboard attachments for 4 years now and love it as much today as the day I got it. I turn on two 3520b's in the high school shops I teach at so I can compare my 1640 against them. I had a bad switch a month after I got my lathe and they replaced within a week of being contacted and also came through with a new outboard banjo when I emailed them a picture of what looks to be a small crack in the casting. It might just be a crack in the thick paint. I give their customer service a 10. I will first say what you already know and that is that the B is a good lathe. Not wanting to make people mad, but my oneway is build to higher standers that the 3520B. The locking of tailstock, quill,banjo, and toolrest all take less effort and are more secure than those on the PM. The quill travels in and out much further with each turn of the hand wheel which speeds up the process of getting to turning.The hardened spindle on the oneway shows zero wear after years of using the set screw to hold the chuck on securely. The spindles on the PM's in my school shop have a lot of wear and I have even had to take a small file to the back end of the threads on a number of occasions just to be able to screw the chuck all the way on. The headstock of the 1640 is more compact which helps when turning close to the headstock. I positioned my 1640 with the tail stock toward a corner of the shop at a angle which lets me turn bowls on the outboard side and have movement on either side of the spindle. I use the inboard side for spindle work and smaller items. I can't see me ever needing more lathe than the 1640 offers since I don't want to turn anything bigger than the 24" outboard side lets one do.
    Happy Shopping,
    Jack

Joel, I have two Oneways, the 1224 and the 2436 and I love them both. Fit and finish on both is great and in the unlikely event that you have a problem, customer service is great.Oneway is one of the few companies that you can actually talk to the person who builds the lathes. I would say go for it.

Since you posted this I was curious and went and read about the 2436, very nice lathe there, one of the things I noticed was the tailstock uses a MT#3, why is that? Are there some accesorys in MT#3 that are better then MT#2 or something? Anyway I was just curious, good luck on your next lathe purchase. Oh yea, as a parent that went through a divorce and as you gained full custody of my daughter, albiet it 20 years ago, you did the right thing!

Joel I have 2436 3hp, RFI filter, break resistor, and the 96 indexing put on when I ordered it form Oneway and ever looked back. also you might want to consider ordering the wheel set to move it, which made it easy to take off the pallet when it arrived. I had my lathe for 5 years and couldn't be happier with it.
    Jeff
    "There's is only one way to turn wood....Safely"

I have a Oneway 2416. Because my shop is small, I got the shortbed. I have the tailstock swingaway which adds about 4 inches to the bed. I have the outboard bed and I do much of my turning there. I turn in reverse because I'm a lefty and also I like to stand facing the piece as I turn it. If I had a long spindle turning to do I could temp. install the bed on the other end of the lathe. If you buy the 2436 do yourself a favor and include the remote on-off switch. Very handy.

As others have said, the quality of the lathe is tops and Oneway's service is super

Wally

Vb 36

Joel,

You said the VB is out because you want to do hollow forms. Malcom Tibbetts Has a VB 36 with the big tail stock. A lot of his segmented vases look like hollow forms and I would assume that they are turned on the inside. I have seen his work up close but can not remember......email him I am sure he will get back to you soon. The thing to also keep in mind that there is nothing smoother running than a VB if you want to do a lot of bowls.That is why it says on the machine Master Bowlturner Lathe.

Trent Bosch does a lot of hollow forms and also owns a VB 36 with the smaller tail stock. Check out his web site.

No matter what you do I think that you are on the right path....Quality is the most important thing. It will never go away.

Good Luck,

Dave

Blair Davis uses a Oneway and turns really big stuff. You might take a look at his youtube video and email him.

Two part youtube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tM7Krp9e9ZM

Contact page on his website:

http://blairdavis.com/?page_id=48

blairclose.jpg
    Tage Frid: The easiest thing in the world is to make mistakes.

You won't go wrong with either the Robust or Oneway. Both have stainless steel beds, both have excellent customer service. Other than the sliding headstock, the only real difference is the Robust is made in the USA. Well, maybe another in that the Robust has adjustable legs so you can raise the lathe to whatever height you want as opposed to my PM which I had up on 4 x 4s.

If you turn bowls, you really should slide the headstock down. It makes a huge difference in how your back feels at the end of a day. You can turn outboard on the Oneway, but my lathe sits in a corner, so that isn't an option for me.

I did get the bed extension for the Robust, and some day will move the legs so the 2 foot bed extension is cantilevered out from the standard bed, and no legs to straddle when turning bowls.

robo hippy

Oneway 2436 for sale

I just saw a used Oneway 2436 for sale in Winston-Salem, NC for $4,700 There you go. They do come up for sale.

Good Luck,

Dave

I want to add to what Reed has said about the Robust. I did a lot of studying when I upgraded and the Robust came out on top with a wide margin. A number of top turners have turned (no pun intended) to Robust and in my mind there is good reason why. It is without a doubt the best engineered lathe on the market IMHO. My American Beauty has 3 hp with an extended bed and outboard turning rig. That coupled with stainless ways, Steady Rest, Vacuum Adapter and the tilt-a-Way and Comfort Rests make it a formidable competitor for any lathe out there. What reed says about service is true but Brent English takes service to a whole new level. Unlike some other companies when a suggestion for an engineering change are suggested Brent takes them into consideration and does what is needed to make the lathe even better.
    Success is the sum of Failure and Learning

Chris,
    I can say after reading alot of you posts on Robust is one of the reasons I am looking at them..
    Just spent more time on the robust site, and like what I see. And can say I am up in the air at this point between the two now.
    My e-mail is Jnucifore@aol .com would like to talk to you if I can????

I can't afford either but the Robust would be my first choice, I have turned on a couple of Oneways and they are well built but I don't like the controls on a stick and the hold down handles seem to get in the way some times for me on the banjos. I may be biasd as the Robusts are built in Wisconsin and I am a cheesehead all the way!

Both are fine machines but the sliding headstock will win me over every time,

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

I got to talk quite a bit with Brent English at SWAT this last year. He is a heck of a nice guy and builds and incredible lathe. If I were to buy another big lathe probably would be the American Beauty I like everything about it. However just to muddy the water a little more for you. If you are still interested in a fixed head lathe I would also consider the Vicmarc VL300 long bed. I have turned on both the Oneway and the Longbed Vic and between the two I would probably pic the Vimarc. The lathe is just more comfortable for me. I really like the slim profile of the headstock. It is a massive piece of Cast Iron. The legs on the True Vicmarc version are adjustable for height just like the Robust. I also really like the tapered roller bearings in the headstock of the Vic. These are just like wheel bearings in a truck. These can defiantly take a very heavy load. It also has not only a remote control but also a knee bar that runs the full length of the bed that you can hit with your knee to shut the machine off. Woodworkers Emporium in Nevada handles the True Vicmarc version of the lathes. They now have a Website that works. I also talked with the owner and he is a really nice guy as well.

Good Luck and happy shopping. I hope one day to be able to do what you are doing now. But for now my 3 lathes keep me pretty happy and all I really need.

Alan