Thread: Danish oil over shellac??

Question Danish oil over shellac??

I'm building a oak jewelry box for my daughter from Stowe's book and he finishes all his boxes with Danish oil. In Flexners book he talks about using black walnut danish oil on oak to give it more color. Can I just use the danish oil or should I put shellac on first? Or should I just go with a blo and amber shellac finish?

Danish oil should not be applied over shellac. Shellac seals the wood, and Danish oil needs to pentrate and then have all excess wiped from the surface. Oak doesn't blotch and no "wood conditioner" or wash coat is needed.

You should apply the Danish Oil first. If you want to add shellac over that, you can. Though several coats of Danish Oil will give a nice finish itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey Gooding View Post
    You should apply the Danish Oil first. If you want to add shellac over that, you can. Though several coats of Danish Oil will give a nice finish itself.
    Everything I've read says Danish oil has a varnish component in it. So after the first coat, subsequent coats will no longer penetrate. So my advice is 1 good coat of Danish oil, then if you want a film type finish use some shellac over the Danish oil.

Properly applied "danish oil" an oil/varnish blend (wipe-it-on let is set a few minutes then wipe it dry) will continue to fill the pores and enhance the look of the wood to a point. One coat of an oil/varnish blend will not completely seal wood the way shellac or varnish will seal it. Depending on the type of wood a few coats to several coats of an oil/varnish blend.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Thanks for your replies, it definitely cleared up some doubts I had.

I often use danish oil, then shellac, then paste wax.
    Paul