Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .030" kerf blade for SawStop?

.030" kerf blade for SawStop?

I've started studying with a local guitar builder. There a step I need to perform that requires high precision and a .030 kerf table saw blade. Naturally, I'd like to so it on my SS as my other saw is setup and dedicated to fret slotting and I don't want to touch it. Does anyone know of a very thin kerf, 10" blade that's available to run on the SawStop? As most of you know, the thing won't run without a 10" blade, even in bypass mode.

John,

I wonder if a saw sharpening shop could make one for you. Is this for the frets?
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

What about an 8" blade with the dado brake installed?

Maybe a stupid question but have you Googled this?

"What do you mean my birth certificate's expired?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    John,

I wonder if a saw sharpening shop could make one for you. Is this for the frets?
    No. I have an old delta contractor saw with no fence that I have setup for doing nothing but frets. That's a .23 kerf blade in there, I think. I could conceivably use that saw for this, but I hate to touch it because it's an old piece of junk that takes forever to get dialed in. The saw itself wasn't that bad new, but it's had a long life of abuse from yours truly doing things it was never designed to do I'm half considering picking up a little micro saw and dedicating it to small tasks like this. That's all I need...another tool in my shop that gets used once a year!

Sharpening service is a good idea. I hadn't though of that.

Blog Entries
    Why do you need a 10" blade? Just stick a smaller diameter blade on there (as long as the arbor is the right size). I assume this is for Fret slotting? They typically come in 6" sizes (10" ultra-narrow blade will vibrate... a lot).

You will not have full Sawstop protection during this cut but you should be using a cross cutting sled anyway (fingers are away from the blade).

It's not for fret slotting. It's for something else. I have another saw dedicated for fret slotting that I'm trying not to disturb, has no fence and doesn't even have wings. It's really not ideal for this! The SS won't run with a blade that's smaller than 8" (w/ a dado cartridge), doesn't matter what mode you put it in. I may end up just rewiring the motor to bypass the box for stuff like this. I'm sure I'm not the first. It's like why so many older saws don't have any guards installed. When they get in the way of real work, the guards go, and they're too much of a hassle to put back on. Fortunately in my case, it's pretty simple to put a couple of plugs and simply plug and unplug as needed so it pretty convenient for sure.
    Last edited by John Coloccia; 01-07-2011 at 2:22 PM.

I MAY have found someplace. I've just submitted a custom quote to make me a blade. They could conceivably make me an 8" blade. I need to call SS and ask them if a thin kerf blade will allow the saw to run with their dado brake.

Forrest will grind you anything you want, I'm pretty sure. Ask them for a quote as well.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I didn't know that either. Thanks, Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    Forrest will grind you anything you want
    Yeah, just start with a regular 10" TK blade and get the teeth ground to what you want.

Hopefully the depth of cut do you need isn't greater than the gullet depth; thinning the blade body might be an extra complication.

What I've done is contact Thurston tool about making an 8" with the specs I needs. I called SawStop and they think there's a chance it will work OK with the dado brake. I haven't gotten a quote back from Thurston. I'll post back when I have it all sorted out it but it looks like it will work, though it will cost some $$$ to get there.

I've put a 7 1/4 blade in the Sawstop at work (in the bypass mode) and it worked no problem; Like you, I needed a thinner kerf. Is it something the manual says, or have you tried it??

I haven't tried it but I know people who have. If it doesn't detect a blade, apparently the saw won't even start in bypass mode. You were running with the dado cartridge, right? If not, it will have me scratching my head why it worked because there are so many people for whom this doesn't work for.

He may have been able to adjust the brake cartridge close enough to the smaller blade to allow the saw to boot.

Mike