Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You guys are causing me trouble

You guys are causing me trouble

The other night I was doing a little surfing in the creek admiring others work and projects when unknown to me LOML started looking over my shoulder. I made some comment about how I thought I would enjoy building something I saw when she spoke up. Now, up until then I didn't know she was there. I invited her to wade in the creek with me and take a look at some of the marvelous projects people had made and posted pics of. She pulled up a chair and we started checking out various threads from different people of all different skill levels. All the tool gloats, projects, etc. She would ask me if I had a certain tool to do one thing or another with and I would either say yes I did have that or would tell her how it might be done without it. She was clearly sucking me in for the kill and I didn't realize it !! Well, we kept looking and she would nonchalantly say that something would look nice in our house over here or over there and would ask if I thought I could make something like that . Well, my usual reply was "sure, all I need is the time". Notice I failed to throw in that I needed a new tool or jig - my fault, big mistake. Being further sucked in all the time and I didn't have a clue. This went on for a while and the whole time I was getting deeper and deeper into my honey do list and still didn't realize it. What was I thinking??? ??? Where was my mind?? ?? I must have been blinded by love . Or jealousy or envy or something. Mostly I think the testerone levels were at an all time high and I was proving my manhood by constantly saying "yes, I could do that".
    Well, to make a long story short (too late) there I was with my honey do list about 20 years long . Thanks to the wonderful talent displayed here on a daily basis I now will need a forest of lumber to finish my honey do list . You guys are great but from now on I will look over my shoulder before looking at a thread with that little paper clip beside it. Man, am I in trouble.

I was in a similar boat with my sofa table. Have a look at this posting. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=15491

Good luck!
    Pat
    JOMA Engraving, Epilog Helix 35 Watt, Corel X3

Wink

I see permission for some new tools in your future! Congratulations!! ;-)

Mike -

Look at it this way. The "Honey Do" list is working capital. You will be able to draw on it for the occasional new tool that you "must" have to complete the . . . You could even go to the "bank" (SMC) to look for more "opportunities to excel".

Ted

Mike, Mike, Mike.....Sheeeeesh....I thought we learned you better than THAT! Now, all the guys out here know about the testosterone thing, but you always...ALWAYS, have to justify the, "Sure. I can make that." How? Well, it's more like, "Sure. I can make that. Except I don't have a (insert tool here), so it won't be quite as nice, because I'll have to (insert real simple, mundane looking process here) instead." Or, there's always, "Yeah, I think I know HOW to make that, except I don't have a (insert tool here)." Then, there's, "Sorry, don't have a (insert tool here). Besides, I saw something almost exactly like that at Walmart the other day. I think Sauder makes one.", and then let HER offer for you to get a (insert tool here)!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

I know how you feel, my wife saw a rocking chair she liked and wanted me to build. I said "Honey, I'd need a band saw to make that"....well about 2 weeks later I had a Jet bandsaw. Now I need to find a project I need a planer for....

I've said this before, but one thing about wives confuses me..(well not just one, but lets focus here )...Why when they get SO upset if we buy stereo equipment, (insert your own wives pet peeve here)....do they roll over like new puppies when we say we can build something if we only had the correct tool. I've got an 8" jointer now so i can build her a country farm table( which may or may not require a jointer*S*), but I want to upgrade my rear surround speakers and its like I'm asking to buy a new truck. She's all for the jointer...and hates the thought of my buying new speakers. Jointer $700 bucks and speakers $250. Go figure!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Morton
    I've said this before, but one thing about wives confuses me..(well not just one, but lets focus here )...Why when they get SO upset if we buy stereo equipment, (insert your own wives pet peeve here)....do they roll over like new puppies when we say we can build something if we only had the correct tool. I've got an 8" jointer now so i can build her a country farm table( which may or may not require a jointer*S*), but I want to upgrade my rear surround speakers and its like I'm asking to buy a new truck. She's all for the jointer...and hates the thought of my buying new speakers. Jointer $700 bucks and speakers $250. Go figure!!
    That's an easy one, Tim. Most (not all) female types appreciate certain types of furniture. Most (not all) female types could give a rat's patoot if you've got high-quality enclosures and drivers on the rear speakers or if they're plastic speaker boxes with 5" full-range speakers in them. Well, as long as they *look* OK, that is. Most (not all) females don't know a sub-woofer from a submarine! A few years ago I picked up a nice home theater receiver with the seperate sub outputs, S-video, this, that and the other thing. Her total questions: "How do you turn it "on"? Where's the volume control? And, can I play my CD's on it?" Go figure. On the flip side, a significant other appreciating finer furniture IS to our advantage when purchasing tools!
    Last edited by John Miliunas; 01-09-2005 at 2:03 PM.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Tempel
    The other night I was doing a little surfing in the creek admiring others work and projects when unknown to me LOML started looking over my shoulder. I made some comment about how I thought I would enjoy building something I saw when she spoke up. Now, up until then I didn't know she was there. I invited her to wade in the creek with me and take a look at some of the marvelous projects people had made and posted pics of. She pulled up a chair and we started checking out various threads from different people of all different skill levels. All the tool gloats, projects, etc. She would ask me if I had a certain tool to do one thing or another with and I would either say yes I did have that or would tell her how it might be done without it. She was clearly sucking me in for the kill and I didn't realize it !! Well, we kept looking and she would nonchalantly say that something would look nice in our house over here or over there and would ask if I thought I could make something like that . Well, my usual reply was "sure, all I need is the time". Notice I failed to throw in that I needed a new tool or jig - my fault, big mistake. Being further sucked in all the time and I didn't have a clue. This went on for a while and the whole time I was getting deeper and deeper into my honey do list and still didn't realize it. What was I thinking??? ??? Where was my mind?? ?? I must have been blinded by love . Or jealousy or envy or something. Mostly I think the testerone levels were at an all time high and I was proving my manhood by constantly saying "yes, I could do that".
    Well, to make a long story short (too late) there I was with my honey do list about 20 years long . Thanks to the wonderful talent displayed here on a daily basis I now will need a forest of lumber to finish my honey do list . You guys are great but from now on I will look over my shoulder before looking at a thread with that little paper clip beside it. Man, am I in trouble.
    I have only one single question:
    What will happen when your wife reads this post?

Regards,

Christian
    "On Wednesday, when the sky is blue,
    And I have nothing else to do,
    I sometimes wonder if it's true
    That who is what and what is who."

(A.A. Milne, Winnie the Pooh)

Wink Now We Need To Rescue You

If you post your list, maybe you could get volunteers to each build a piece. If we got you into the mess, we should get you out, right? Of course, I'm off to Williamsburg for "Working Wood in the Eighteenth Century"; so I'll have my hands full for the rest of the year, but I'm sure the others will pitch in.
    18th century nut --- Carl

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Eyman
    If you post your list, maybe you could get volunteers to each build a piece. If we got you into the mess, we should get you out, right? Of course, I'm off to Williamsburg for "Working Wood in the Eighteenth Century"; so I'll have my hands full for the rest of the year, but I'm sure the others will pitch in.
    Carl, I can clearly see that your "generosity" is without bounds! Sheeeeesh...The REST of us are already busy trying to dig out from our own, self-inflicted "honey-do" lists!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ash
    I know how you feel, my wife saw a rocking chair she liked and wanted me to build. I said "Honey, I'd need a band saw to make that"....well about 2 weeks later I had a Jet bandsaw. Now I need to find a project I need a planer for....

When you find it, tell me. I want one, too!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Tempel
    ...she was clearly sucking me in for the kill and I didn't realize it !!
    ...notice I failed to throw in that I needed a new tool or jig - my fault, big mistake. What was I thinking??? ??? Where was my mind?? ??
    ...to make a long story short (too late) there I was with my honey do list about 20 years long .
    ...Man, am I in trouble.
    To quote my pre-teen, "you are toast". What were you thinking?

To me, it's like an algebraic equation....

(A) Furniture X (B) LOML = (C) New Tools

Tell her the equation must be in balance for everything to work properly. Or, if all else fails, tell her you will never see her again for the next 20 yrs unless you purchase the "right tool for the job".

Arnie

Christian, I have a new rule - only look at SMC at work now.

Otherwise she might be watching. My wife can be sneaky when she wants to be so I will have to be careful while at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Shrader
    Mike -

Look at it this way. The "Honey Do" list is working capital. You will be able to draw on it for the occasional new tool that you "must" have to complete the . . . You could even go to the "bank" (SMC) to look for more "opportunities to excel".

Ted
    I wish I could but I think I may have drawn all the "credit" from the Bank of LOML as I could. As for the SMC bank - my wife may have overdrawn that account without even knowing.
    I may try and turn this into a cabinet saw though. But every time I bring it up she says, "but honey, you do such good work with what you have". Yeah, Yeah, Yeah.
    Man, what a mess you guys got me into.