Thread: Inset a mirror

Inset a mirror

I want to inset a mirror into the underside of a jewelry box lid. The lid is 3/4" walnut. The mirror is about 4x6x1/8" thick. One thought is to use my router with a bushing and straight bit. And use a template slightly larger than the mirror. I have a 1/2" straight bit, but it won't plunge into the wood because there is no carbide on the bottom of the bit. This seem like a common operation. Is there a better way?

The bushings came with the router (Bosch) and I've never used them, so any tips are appreciated.

Also, what kind a glue would you suggest to attach the mirror?

Mitch

Drill a shallow "starter" hole to get around not being able to plunge.

I don't mean to state the obvious, but I'd "test" everything first.

Try what Bill said and use clear silicone adhesive to set your mirror. That's adhesive, not sealer.
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

This may not be much help. I can't tell you what glue to use but I can tell you not to use silicone. I tried that on a replacement rear view mirror and it dissolved the mirror backing. If you don't get a good suggestion here, I recommend you contact your glass company.

I'm a big "Liquid Nail" fan.

I've even used it hold automonile door panel parts together.

6. Last edited by Scott Hildenbrand; 01-08-2011 at 3:58 PM.

Interesting. Both adhesives require a mechanical fastener in addition to the adhesive. Probably not a prob with a thin mirror.

Good point about maintaining flexibility. Something ridged like epoxy may crack the mirror as the wood moves wih the seasons.

Went to a WW show today and found a straight bit with a top mounted bearing and a short (1/2") cutting length, so I don't have to mess with the bushing in the router base.

There is a special mirror adhesive available for doing this that won't affect the mirror finish. It's called "mirror adhesive". Glass shops carry it. You may also find it in the big box stores, but since you only need a few drops and it comes in a caulking gun cartridge it might be better and cheaper to take the mirror and box to the glass shop and have them glue the mirror in. Almost every other adhesive on the market will eventually damage the mirror surface even if it doesn't affect it immediately.

Charley

Dell Littlefield

This may not be much help. I can't tell you what glue to use but I can tell you not to use silicone. I tried that on a replacement rear view mirror and it dissolved the mirror backing. If you don't get a good suggestion here, I recommend you contact your glass company.

While there are many different "silicones" on the market, I have never had one attack the silvering of a mirror. It is always best to read for what the silicone is designed to be used. Many are seeking an adhesive and end up with a sealant. CR Laurence glass and mirror adhesives will not attack the silvering. You must have used one that isn't designed to be used for mirrors. For example, Liquid Nails is many adhesives. You must match the specific adhesive to the job intended.
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain