Thread: Chuck for Miller Falss #2 drill

Chuck for Miller Falss #2 drill

I recently bought a MF #2 drill off of ebay for $20 (including shipping). I thought I got a good deal because the description said it worked great. Well, I got it today and boy was that description WRONG. The handle is very hard to turn - maybe that can be resolved with a bit of effort. But the biggest problem is that the chuck is broken - one of the three jaws is broken off and the others are in bad shape, so it is basically useless. The seller offered to refund $10 and let me keep it and since shipping it back would probably cost me at least that much it looks like I'm stuck with it. Assuming I can get it turning again, any one know where I might be able to get a replacement chuck?

Blog Entries
    Though I have bought a lot of things off of ebay, there are always the clinkers.

It would likely cost more for a good chuck than it should for the tool.

Just now looking at completed listings for these I am surprised to see how much the price has gone up on them in the last few years.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Ask seller for rebate if you have not..

Try asking Wiktor Kuc if he has any extra parts he has another website where he refinished and sells MF Drills wiktor@wkfinetools.com
    http://wkfinetools.com/

Jim,
    I am amazed at how high some items are Bedrock planes are almost the price of a LN
    Last edited by Johnny Kleso; 01-08-2011 at 12:46 AM.
    aka rarebear - Hand Planes 101 - RexMill - The Resource

Prince Edward Island, Canada's Ocean Playground
    Derrell,

I would keep it as a parts plane and go looking for another No 2 as there are lots aval. That being said, as Jim notes, a decent older No 2 will likely cost a fair bit more than $20 shipped. If you are buying a user it doesn't have to be collectable.

I have purchased a fair number of Millers Falls hand drills cheaply that were made for Craftsman and thus do not attract the collectors. They are often aval for around $20.

The No 2 is a great little drill and I use one frequently where control is important.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Erik

Canada's Atlantic Paradise - Prince Edward Island

Are the chucks standard? The drills I have all have chucks that just thread onto the rod at the business end of the drill.
    If it'll work, I have a Dunlap that you can have for the cost of shipping.
    PI

Hi Derrell,

The jaws in those chucks are separate pieces that are held in place by a small spring clip. The jaws can't actually break off. You can unscrew the chuck from the main shaft, then unscrew the part that screws to the shaft. It will have two holes to be used to insert something into. I use two drills that fit in the holes, then clamp the drills in a vise and then turn the chuck outer shell to unscrew it. Once that end piece is unscrewed, the jaws and the plate they set into plus the spring clips can be pushed out the back end. As long as you have all three jaws, you can make it work by either replacing the spring or making one. Just make it the same shape as the other two. It's a bit of a challenge, but doable.

Catchyalater,
    Marv

"I did then what I knew how to do. Now that I know better, I do better."

~Maya Angelou~

Thanks for the info Marv. I'll give it a try but just from looking into the chuck it looks like two of the jaws are ok but the third is broken and about half of it is missing. It looks like it got real rusty and broke into.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Kleso View Post
    Ask seller for rebate if you have not.....
    If you paid via Paypal, you can more or less demand a rebate and/or return. Sure, start by being nice to the seller and asking, but it certainly doesn't have to end there. And if you don't? Of course the seller will be encouraged to continue being lazy, s/he'll continue selling junk for good money.

Pam
    Last edited by Pam Niedermayer; 01-08-2011 at 7:33 PM.

Hi Derrell, have you checked with WaltQ at BrassCityRecords. He deals in 'new old tools' and may have something. I got my MF #2 from him sometime back. He has lots of stuff and lots of knowledge. Check his web site or give him a call. He may be grounded by the weather this weekend and be home.

Wish you luck.

Art.

If you don't care how it looks, new chucks seem to come in two shaft/thread combos.
    Brand new chucks with rubber collars, etc are available at the hardware store for < $20.
    AKA - "The human termite"

Darrell, I have parts for #2 drills. If you can get the chuck appart, let me know if you need just one jaw, springs or whatever. I am assuming you have the common chuck used since about 1907. PM me if interested.

Wow! I really appreciate all those who have offered to help me get this drill fixed up. I think I may be in good shape now as far as parts go. Now I'll just have to do some rust removal and a little (or a lot) of TLC and I think I'll have a good and elegant tool that my kids can fight over some day(or maybe I should get another so they can each have one). I'll try to take some before and after pics and post them once I'm finished.

Thanks again everyone. I love these old hand tools and I also love the fact that there are so many nice folks here who share a common passion and are willing to help other out. Thanks again everyone.

Derrell