Thread: Raising the grain...alternate to the Makita 9741 Wheel Sander?

Raising the grain...alternate to the Makita 9741 Wheel Sander?

Not sure if I'm listing this in the right place. I'm looking for methods to "raise the grain" like the Makita 9741 Wheel Sander does ( http://www.timberwolftools.com/tools/makita/M-9741.html ). This is exactly the effect that I am looking to achieve on a table I want to make but I can't afford to spring for the Makita sander and I haven't been able to locate one locally to rent. Can anyone provide any advice on how to do this? I've made attempts to search on hear and the web with no luck (I'm not sure if I'm describing it correctly in my searches). Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

eBay. Ends in 4 hours so get on it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/MAKITA-9741-WHEE...#ht_694wt_1141

"What do you mean my birth certificate's expired?!"

It looks like the same surface that's left after a bad power washing job.

I have about 1600 sq ft of reclaimed 100 year old fir on my floors. One of the treatments was this tool. It does a great job and can be controlled.

The table (and possible other projects) are all going to be rustic and simple and I believe (won't know for sure until I try it) that this surface effect will add to what I'm looking for. The Makita is out of my unemployed range right now and although the ebay price would have been better it would still be tough. I was just wondering if there's a way to do this by hand or with an attachment on a drill or some other tool.

I would seriously take a test piece of wood and try power washing it with the nozzle very close to the wood. I think you'll get this effect. You almost certainly know someone who owns power wash equipment.

Thanks John, I'll give it a shot. (Sorry, I thought you were originally criticizing my original goal. I misunderstood your first post.)

There was an article a few years ago in FWW where the surface of a table was lightly charred with a propane torch. The softer wood burned much away quicker than the harder wood, so a stern brushing afterward with a wire brush produced a fairly deep grain difference. I'm sure it could be done with a wire wheel on a drill. I haven't tried it, but it has always seemed like an interesting idea.

I would try sandblasting before powerwashing. Powerwashing will work but you'll have to deal with raised grain when it dries. Probably impossible considering the desired end result. Can you access a sandblaster?

Quote Originally Posted by John Fieldstadt View Post
    Thanks John, I'll give it a shot. (Sorry, I thought you were originally criticizing my original goal. I misunderstood your first post.)
    No problem. My immediate reaction when I saw it was that it looked like a deck that's been power washed by the owner. I can always tell because all the softwood's been blasted away just like what you're shooting for

You could also do this by sandblasting or hitting it with a wire wheel on an angle grinder.