Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bottled Water Alternatives (water filters)

Bottled Water Alternatives (water filters)

One of the items I wish to change in my household is the use of plastic water bottles. We buy several cases of bottled water every couple of months but I'd like to curb that and go with some kind of a convenient water filter at the sink. I'm just tired of tossing so many plastic water bottles into the recycle bin.

I don't mind doing the work to tie it into the plumbing under the sink but we'd like to poll the collective here on what's been used and what you like and don't like about whatever system you've used.

We do have a built-in water filter to the refrigerator but the cartridges are pricey to replace every 3-6 months or whatever plus LOML doesn't like the taste.

Thanks!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Chris,

I've had 2 refrigerators with built-in filters, and I didn't think either of them did anything (taste seemed the same, to me).

I had a 2-stage under-sink filter for some time (I believe it was a 5 micron sediment filter with a 1 micron carbon filter), and that worked well, but required frequent filter changes. After 6 months, some plastic pieces broke, I couldn't get the housings unscrewed, and I generally just got angry that I spent $60 on what amounted to a few pieces of cheap moulded plastic.

Finally, a year ago, we bought a proper RO system. 3 filters, a storage tank, and a carbon "finishing" filter. It was expensive (at $200), but definitely a better value than anything else I've used. The filters need attention only once a year (at the rate we use it), and the filters are some sort of industry standard, so you don't need to worry about not being able to find the exact model filter in the future.

I think that compared to any alternative (an under-sink filter, those screw-to-the-faucet-types, filter pitchers, etc, etc), this represents the very best value by a long shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    One of the items I wish to change in my household is the use of plastic water bottles. We buy several cases of bottled water every couple of months but I'd like to curb that and go with some kind of a convenient water filter at the sink. I'm just tired of tossing so many plastic water bottles into the recycle bin.

I don't mind doing the work to tie it into the plumbing under the sink but we'd like to poll the collective here on what's been used and what you like and don't like about whatever system you've used.

We do have a built-in water filter to the refrigerator but the cartridges are pricey to replace every 3-6 months or whatever plus LOML doesn't like the taste.

Thanks!
    We live off-grid and did a lot of research on drinking water filtration and in our research the best passive system you can get is a Berkey filter. Its not the flashiest thing in the world in that it doesn't give you pure water out of the tap but it is basically two tanks, one on top of the other. The upper has compressed filters in it (how many depends on your daily water needs) and you simply fill this container and the water drips into the lower holding container which has a coffee maker spigot on it for you to get water out.

These filters filter virtually everything out. You could basically dump dirty, muddy, contaminated water in the top and get drinking water out the bottom. Same technology as camping/hiking filters. How long the filters last depend on your incoming water quality which if you are putting city or well water in would be a loooong time.

The drawback to these is the counter space they take up and the quantity they will produce daily. That said, we find that for drinking and cooking needs (you may not even opt to filter cooking water) it was the best solution. We wanted a solution that gave us far better water than comes from a bottle (most commonly re-filtered municipal water) and of course didnt want the waste of bottles and the BPA exposure from bottled water. We additionally didnt want the cost, expense, and wasted water, of a RO system, and were looking for more than particulate/taste and odor filtering.

When we were on city water we often used the Britta style and still use one here at the shop but what they filter out is trivial compared to the Berkey.

Just my .02

Mark

We have pretty good city water, but too much chlorine. I bought one of those 'Greenway' water filters that takes the place of a 5 gal water bottle ontop of the cooler. It filters from the upper half to the lower storage portion. We live in an area that uses lake based water, so it's very soft water, and the only thing wrong with it is the chlorine. The Greenway removes that very well, and because there are virtually no minerals (no build up 'ever' in/on anything) the filter lasts for a year or better, rather than the 6 months they recommend.
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

We have very hard ward here and we are on a well. LOML hate the smell of the water so I had the local plumbing company install a whole house filter, its is almost 2' long and several inches in diameter. It improved the overall water quality immensly. The filters cartriges are only $5 or so.....In my last house I had a Culligan filter system, it had 3 filters that the water went through before it got into its onwn small pressure tank. Good clean water......

Britta water pitcher. Happy.
    My favorite cologne is BLO

My wife and adult daughter were unhappy with the tap water flavor and ice cube made in the fridge. I was tired of replacing the filter behind the fridge too. We installed a much larger (Not THAT large...$40 from HD) filter under the sink. This filter feeds the sink cold water faucet, so we can make iced tea, etc. It also feeds the icemakers in two fridges. End of taste complaints, and the filter lasts a year or so.

We have hard water and I assume it does nothing for that.

Rick Potter

Chris

Do you know what contaminants you are trying to filter out?
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    Chris

I think Mike has hit the nail on the head. If you are just trying to reduce a little taste and odor then charcoal filters like the ones mentioned can do the job if you dont mind the cost and constant replacement. However if you are trying to get very clean/pure drinking water its a totally different story. We were going the clean/pure route which regardless of what your trying to remove brings you to an RO or Berkey style system.

The question always becomes who's standards of "acceptable" drinking water are you working to.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    Chris

Good question, Mike, and one I hadn't thought of. I'm on city water. I guess we just want something tastier/cleaner/purer like we get from the bottled water but I honestly have no clue what I want to remove.

Honestly, I'm fine with our tap water but my wife 'n kid wanted something "better."

Some limitations I'm thinking about right now are that I would really like it to fit under the sink AND not mess up we already have there (couple of slide out racks: one for the trash can and the other for cleaning supplies) too much/significantly. I think this puts most RO units out of the running.

Here is one I found that looks promising: Zuvo and the price Costco has is VERY attractive and my wife likes the butler faucet. In fact, our sink already has a hole all ready for it (she's been itching to put something other than the ugly hole cover in its place! ) The reviews it has are positive (all 3) but they only go back to November so they don't mean much yet.

Lowe's (and others) sells really nice drinking water faucets (quite an upgrade from those cheap ones with the little black plastic handle), and you could fit those to any type of filter system - no need to select a filter based on the faucet...

The Zuvo one appears to be just a UV and O3 generator? That might help if your water is bacteriologically unsafe, but I can't imagine how that would improve taste (by, say, removing chloramines). Shining UV on clean water does nothing, of course...
    Last edited by Dan Friedrichs; 01-09-2011 at 2:15 PM. Reason: spelling

Blog Entries
    +1 on Britta = happy. Your satisfaction will be directly proportional to what you are trying to achieve. Flavor? Perchlorates? Frogs? Finding the system that gets you to your goal sometimes selects the best system for you along the way.

We will visit our local Lowes and see what they have. The folks there might actually have some idea about our local water (maybe) and so I might glean some useful info from them.

We have an ISE insta-hot/cold water filter under the kitchen sink. It has a hot/cold dispenser head mounted on the sink. I put in an air switch for the disposer that toggles the AC between the insta-hot heater (normal position) and disposer; this lets the disposer circuit feed the heater as well - useful in a retrofit where running the required individual circuits is difficult. My wife wants hot water available for tea 24/7 so it's either this or a standing hot water kettle out on the counter. For some (as yet unexplained) reason, we still buy water by the case. I've decided to ignore that in the interest of domestic tranquility. Maturity sucks!
    The problem with education in the School of Hard Knocks is that by the time you're educated, you're too old to do anything.

http://www.sjwater.com/quality/faqs.jsp

Some info on our local water. I'm thinking I'm going to try and convince the family that our tap is fine AS IS.

Wish me luck.