Thread: First closed/hollow form

First closed/hollow form

So, this piece isn't quite finished as I ran out of time on the lathe today, but I finally completed a hollow form -- well this is more of a closed form -- but still an achievement for me.

For the first time, it didn't blow up or I didn't give up because I hated the results.

Of course, I was skeptical when I started so I haven't even started sanding it, but here it is. I'll post it again after I've sanded and finished it. Now, how does one go about sanding the inside of one of these?

FirstHollowForm.JPG

Nice job.....need more pictures though. Looks like the wood will look great when you get a finish on it.

Hi Nick, I am sorry I cant speak to your question but I had a question for you, does the head of your lathe tilt? It appears to be tilted backwards a little? If so that is cool, I imagine it would allow easy access to things that would be harder to reach otherwise.

Nick - congrats on your first HF! Looking forward to seeing it finished!

As far as sanding - there are mandrels that you can use to extend the reach of your sanding pad - or - you can use forceps to hold the sandpaper to reach up under the shoulder area. Just one of those things where you try a bunch of different ideas until you find the one that works for you.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Tim, it's not tilted but it is rotated. The lathe is a Nova 1624 which has a rotating headstock. I really like the lathe.

Good work Nick. I'm glad you pushed through. I noticed you live in Austin. We should try to get together sometime. Keep pushing yourself.
    Success is the sum of Failure and Learning

As big as the hole is, there should be plenty of room to power sand it with a right angle drill. It will be a good looking bowl when you get it down.

Whenever I see the "first" posts I'm amazed at how well most people do on their first try. I can't remember how many I exploded before I got one to the sanding stage. Looks like it's going to be a nice one too. Nice form and nice wood.

Good job, looks like its going to be a nice one. I have a drill bit extender I use with my sanding discs to get to the bottom and double stick tape on my finger for some sandpaper.

Great job, Nick!! Looks like a fine piece of wood, too. I do like Baxter on sanding, except I have a snug fitting work glove that I hot glue sandpaper to the fingers and use that.