Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: drop leaf table joints?

West of Boston East of worcester north of RI South of nashua

drop leaf table joints?

does anyone know the plane set I should be looking for to accomplish the joint between the leaf and the main table top? I know there is a specific name and it is not just a h&r - anyone recall?

thanks
    Andy
    Andy
    Keep Life Simple

I think that may be called a thumbnail pattern, but check out Matt Bickford's informative blog, musingsfrombigpink.blogspot.com

I'm pretty sure you could accomplish that with a rabbet and a matching hollow/round set.

rule joint planes- come as a pr and pretty pricey

Quote Originally Posted by greg Forster View Post
    rule joint planes- come as a pr and pretty pricey
    TheBestThings currently has a 1/2" set made by J.T. Jones, Phila. for $199. There's a photo so you can see what they look like.

If you really wanted to spend some money, you could take the Rule Joint Planes & Dropleaf Table class with Bill Anderson at the Woodwright School. "First you make the tools, then you make the furniture". Sounds like fun.

thanks for the responses. yikes - $$$$ although I fail to see why the price us so much higher than some detailed ogee molders. I will reach out to Matt or Philly and see if they can make them. at least if the price is gonna be high - it would be new and require no fettling to use em

on the other hand, I could go the ....tailed route
    Andy
    Keep Life Simple

Fine Woodworking #18 has an article on making a rule joint. #45 as rabbet plane along with a scratch stock to form the rest of the joint. Author was Alasdair G.B. Wallace.
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Hsieh View Post
    thanks for the responses. yikes - $$$$ although I fail to see why the price us so much higher than some detailed ogee molders. ...
    Go here, look down the page for "table," and buy quickly. If you don't want them, let me know.

Pam

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Niedermayer View Post
    Go here, look down the page for "table," and buy quickly. If you don't want them, let me know.

Pam
    thanks Pam - sent email to tony to purchase - I'll let ya know
    how it goes
    Andy
    Keep Life Simple

I'll post some photos of rule joint planes later today

That was a very nice gesture Pam!

Pam
    With skill and tool we put our trust and when that won't do then power we must.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Hsieh View Post
    thanks for the responses. yikes - $$$$ although I fail to see why the price us so much higher than some detailed ogee molders.
    The reason has to do with rarity. Rule joint planes are cabinetmaker's tools, and they're far less common than joiner's tools. Also, because these planes are made to work in pairs, they are often separated during their history and mis-matched makers rarely function correctly, matched sets that started life together and remain a pair bring a lot more money than the individual planes or ones that are "almost matches".

Pam
    It is important in considering these planes that the two are a matched set.
    It is quite hard to match up two planes from different backgrounds.
    These two look a little mis-matched to me, but it might just be the photo.
    The cove plane seems to have a different radius to the half-round.
    They also do appear to be from different makers.
    I would be interested to see how they work out.
    Good luck with the purchase.
    MC

First, I need to correct myself. In 19thc tool catalogs(American), these planes are listed as "table planes" and not rule joint planes - the terminology I used in my earlier post.
    These were sold as a pr and sometimes included a gage. I don't know how they are named in English tool catalogs or in the 18thc in general.

The first pair are Ohio Tool company, 5/8" boxed table planes. I bought these years ago off Ebay, described as "H&R pr"; I haven't tried them.
    2.jpg6.jpg7.jpg

The next pair are a "married" set, which I bought separate. I have several more singles in search of a mate. You can usually recognize a table plane, even from a photo. The H is Casey&Co, Auburn, NY, circa 1857 (Casey contracted with NY prisons for plane manufacture) This plane is at cabinet pitch, stamped "5/8" and is a bonafide table plane. The R is marked "?"zb ( too worn to identify), but guessing English, early 1800s, but at common pitch. This plane may have started as a common Round, but the "5/8" stamp makes me wonder. This pair of planes I have used for table joints and they work pretty well.
    PC-DSC_0040.jpg13.jpg

The last pr are by Holbrook (English- early 1800s) and are very nice. These I bought about 25 years ago at auction. They are stamped "1" ,are at cabinet pitch and will cut about 3/8" - a rather small table joint. I'm curious where this would be used, although English Regency Period furniture ( Federal Period in America) could be quite delicate. Notice on the heel, the lines to reference the plane to the work piece. These marks are often seen on early 19thc table planes. I included a #10 R plane in the photos, also at cabinet pitch, to give a sense of scale. These are collector quality planes, so I won't be using them.
    17.jpg19.jpg22.jpg

Making the joints is one thing, proper placement of the table hinges another.

I've always heard and used the term rule joint for this kind of drop leaf table joint.

Thanks Everyone - I have not heard back from Tony yet - but I'll let you know how it works out. I too saw that the planes were different wood types and makers - I will have to see what tony says about that.

With all the drop leaf tables that I see in antique stores, I am astounded there are not more of these planes out there in the wild. I read online that some rule joint planes were single planes - run it one direction to make one side and flip it around to make the other. There are many different ways to make these joints but I think that finding a pair of these specific planes will make the job simpler - one of those tools that you don;t use very often but when you need it - you sure are glad it's there.

Thanks Greg for posting those pictures - you got any action shots on scrap wood or something to show what type of product those planes can accomplish?
    Andy
    Keep Life Simple