Thread: Router Table Advice

Router Table Advice

I've about to pull the trigger on a bench top router table. At this point it looks like it will be either the Bosch RA1181 or the BenchDog 40-001 Pro Top. Any suggestions or comments are welcome.

2. Neither- If bench-top is truly what you are after, you can build a better quality one for less money.
    Consider one of these tops- http://www.woodpeck.com/rt2432p.html and adding a base-fence
    I just received my top last week and I am really impressed with the build quality.
    Last edited by Justin Jones RDH; 01-09-2011 at 2:23 PM.

Justin . . . what are your plans for a fence?

I have the Bosch 1181 -- I am a newbie to woodworking, but I have used it on a couple of projects and it does what I need it to do (for now).

My longer term plans include building a real router table, once my skills improve so that becomes a reasonable project. But, as many folks have pointed out, building a router table often requires the use of a router table... so my Bosch might get used in building its replacement.

I researched several benchtop models, and the Bosch 1181 appeared to have the best balance of affordability vs usefulness. It's actually fairly big for a benchtop unit (jumbo shrimp ) and the split fence is stable. There are several smaller features that I appreciated as well, including the switch that has an auxilliary port for plugging in your portable dust collector, and included feather boards.

There is a very good review by a fellow creeker on newwoodworker.com.

Good luck!

My $0.02 would be that it depends on what's in your future. If you are going to be using the router heavily, then skip the benchtop. All a benchtop does is hold the router and has a basic fence. As Justin and others mentioned, you could get by cheaper and better. If your plans include heavy router use, invest in a stand alone. Build or buy.
    I routed a hole in my table saw extension wing, dropped in a router plate, and use the TS fence. All I need is basic router duties, so that works for me. That is cheap and dirty.

I bought the Bosch 1181 a couple years ago and am not at all happy. The fence is excellent but the aluminum table is not flat at all. I'm a big Bosch fan and would probably say that this is the only Bosch tool I've ever bought that I am not happy about.

The other Bosch table seems like a better purchase, even though it is a bit cheaper. At least the MDF should be flat. About the only thing the 1181 accomplished is convincing me that I needed a "real" router table.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg R Bradley View Post
    I bought the Bosch 1181 a couple years ago and am not at all happy. The fence is excellent but the aluminum table is not flat at all. I'm a big Bosch fan and would probably say that this is the only Bosch tool I've ever bought that I am not happy about.
    I would second this. My table is nice and flat, but the fence wasn't perpendicular to the table. I ended up shimming it with tape. As a matter of fact, it's going up for sale on Craig's list next weekend.

I just bought a barely used Bench Dog with a barely used PC 7518 router, and some extras for a $270. I'm going to use the table this week for the first time but I don't think there is any question the Bench Dog is much better than the Bosch. The Bosch is similar to a portable from Ryobi or Porter Cable, etc. aka nothing special. The Bench Dog is built very well, should work great. I like this set up for me right now because if I do some work at other places from time to time so I can take the router table with me. The only thing I don't like right now is the mount plate for Bench Dog is slightly different than others. I'd rather the option of using another companies router lift or extra plate instead.

My advice would be to stay away from the ones with aluminum tables. Wood does not slide well on it, and sometimes mine would leave black marks on the wood (20 years ago).

I you want an inexpensive bench top model to use until you decide if you want to do a big one, check out the Sears store. they have a pretty decent MDF topped model compete with a 1/2" router for $139.

Rick Potter

10. I am using woodpecker's super-fence. And again- I can not speak highly enough of the product. You can make an accurate fence out of MDF (as well as other wood) and some simple hardware.

I am in the process of building the cabinet for the router (not bench top- full size)

This book http://www.amazon.com/Woodworking-Ro...4621812&sr=1-3
    has some excellent info on constructing router equip. Jigs, tables, fences. I'm not sure why it is so much on amazon but I picked a copy from woodcraft for 25$ What a great router book.