Thread: tachometer?

tachometer?

i want to put a digital readout for rpm on my lathe. i have done a few searches, but havent found a permanent one that is cheap. any help?
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

Curtis,
    I built my own lathe several years ago and thought about adding a digital tach to it. The challenge is how to put a pickup (optical reflective or magnetic) on the spindle. If you put it on the motor or take a signal from the VS controller it will not reflect the true RPM unless the pulleys are set to 1:1. I made a remote controller for my Vicmarc and just have the approximate RPM on the dial legend, much like a Oneway. In the several years I have used it, I have never felt the need for anything more accurate. Just my 2 cents...
    Dave
    Way south of most everybody...

Check out Mike Cruz's tach search for his Cruzed (there's that word again) PM 90.
    David

I have thought about adding one to my lathe also. I have found a few options beginning at about $75 - $80 but so far, I have not had a reason to spend/bother except for the gee-whiz factor.

Why not just get a hand held that you just piont it at the spindle as you turn up the speed and when it hits the speed you want you just set it down til you need it again.
    Darren in Oshawa

Curtis
    I bought a hand tach from Harbor Freight when I put the DC drive on my General, I checked the rpm in steps and marked the control knob accordingly. I then typed up a list that shows the rpm for each step. The BIG thing is I don't ever use it I just turn the knob to the speed I fell I need to be at and turn.
    just my $.02

the hand held would be a little more annoying for me because i have two handles for changing speed and then a step pulley. it would take more time. also, i would like it for the cool factor. but mainly so i can see how much i am slowing the lathe down under heavy cuts and different woods.

Dave, there is plenty of room on my spindle as it is all open.
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!