Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Homemade Cole jaws

Good looking jaws!! Would be nice to see the back just in case one gets to thinking he could do the same...
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Aldrich View Post
    Philip - Nice work. Hard to believe one can use a jig saw to make those nice cuts, but some of the saws and blades today really can make a nice cut with the right operator.
    Rich, once i had the jaws mounted i used my homemade carbide insert tool to true up the outside and scribe the size rings. I did use my bandsaw with an old 4 hook blade to cut the circle in quarters, which worked excellent but I couldn't use it for the circle because the guy I got the plate from wanted as much back as possible and the piece was too big.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Markham View Post
    Man, those are some pretty cole jaws. You did a fantastic job on them. A jigsaw and drill press... you did a great job on them. You should teach NOVA how to make cole jaws... the ones I have are pretty shoddy! Those are great Philip! Wanna come over and help me build handplanes?
    Thanks Rick. i can't go that far south or I may melt and I should be making landing nets instead of playing with the lathe, but the inventory rack is full so I have an excuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Westfall View Post
    Good looking jaws!! Would be nice to see the back just in case one gets to thinking he could do the same...
    Thanks Kieth, The backs are just flat because they sit tight on the Vicmarc surfaces with the screws holding them in place.

Philip, kind of late to post on this - not sure how I missed it!! Excellent work on these as many have noted, and much better than you could have purchased. These will come in handy, and you will certainly find a use for the longer posts - that was one of the first things I did for mine. You can also use poly tubing for cushion if you can find the right thickness. Some hardware and auto supply shops carry it.

You did an amazing job on this, the quality of workmanship is outstanding, good job!

gotta agree with Faust, the talent found here just boggles the mind! You sure proved the old saying "where there is a will there is a way". Very professional job. Congrats on a fine "homemade" tool. I know you will enjoy using yours more than you ever would using a commercial tool...Bill..

Really nice work on those. Especially with a jig saw and drill press.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Beautiful workmanship.
    I was sad because I had no shoes,
    Then I saw a man who had no feet
    ================================
    If you do today what no one else will,
    You'll do tomorrow what no one else can

Very nice work. I agree, I am amazed at the variety of talents on this site.

Philip;
    Those are fantastic. Nicely done. One suggestion to make them a little safer. Round off the outside corners of each quarter piece so if your hands get a little too close the jaws will bump you and not take a piece of meat off.
    If you look at the Oneway jumbo jaws you will see what I mean.
    Peter F.

Resurrecting an old thread here. Phillip I am just curious if you did any kind of treatment to the internal cut edges, sanding, round over etc.?

Gary, I made the inside cuts on my band saw and lightly touched them on the belt sander to knock down any high spots and rolled the edges lightly. I didn't feel the internal cuts needed to fit that closely because you won't close them tight to hold a bowl. Hope this helps.
    Whippingwater
    What if the Hokey Pokey REALLY IS what it's all about.