Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worksharp 3000 = Yes yes yes

Worksharp 3000 = Yes yes yes

...yes yes yes! I just picked one up...another one, actually. I had one and didn't like it that much. This time I tried it with the additional leather hone and buffing wheel.

WOW. Just WOW. For anyone who's tried this tool and doesn't have the leather hone or the buffing wheel, you just don't know what you're missing. I get a mirror edge off the buffing wheel and the tools are sharp. I mean SHARP.

It's awesome that I can leave the buff setup and quickly polish all of my edges to razor sharp as I'm working. It just takes a second. I find myself just leaving it running sometimes so I can take a few particularly delicate cuts, and do a quick 2 second polish on the buff without skipping a beat.

I'm a convert, but NOT without the leather hone and buffing wheel. That's the key to the system, and it should be included in the base package.

I might just have to get the buffing wheel and take it for a spin. What sort of compounds are you using on it?

My 3000 came with the leather hone. While I really like having it, I'm not sure if it's worth a $40 expenditure. Mine is starting to deteriorate a little too. Getting that quick mirror polish sure is nice though. I think a shop made disc & some scrap leather would work just as well. I picked up a bag of leather scraps from a local leatherworking store for $5 for some vice liners and strops. I'm thinking of doing the same with a big scotch-brite pad instead of paying $30 for their conditioning wheel.

I've been wanting to get the belt system for it too. I have read good reviews on the knife sharpener.

I love it for chisels and the like... I did obtain the belt system recently and I have to admit, I don't think I've got it figured out yet... it seems pretty basic to use and the directions seem clear...I've even watched some video's online where folks are running a typical knife through and then slicing paper (which I know isn't the end all be all to prove how sharp a knife is)...but I've not been able to get that last little edge on a quality knife to do anything close to that.

The leather is better than a hard felt (and don't get anything less hard than hard felt for anything you don't want to dub).

For anyone who has a small belt/disc sander, you can get a piece of 1/8th vegetable tanned leather on ebay and put it on your combination sander and get the same effect, albeit at a much higher disc speed and more care needed to avoid heat. If that route is taken, MUCH care needs to be made about never letting anything get toward the center of the disc - because the iron will fly far and fast, and it could easily bounce into someone's face.

The result is like what john mentions, though - it's like being able to take a couple of hundred strokes on a finish stone really quickly, the polish on the work is great.

I have also tried cork belts on the sander, but so far, the cork is roughing up the edge too much to use it. Its supposedly works down finer. but I haven't gotten there.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik France View Post
    I might just have to get the buffing wheel and take it for a spin. What sort of compounds are you using on it?
    Green. LOL. It's just a little green bar that comes with it. It seems to turn black and get all gooey when you use it. Interesting stuff. I agree about making your own leather strop. I think it would work fine.

I made a power strop using my lathe. I took a piece of 1" thick mdf cut an 8" circle and glued on a piece of leather. I attached it to the lathe using the face plate. I set the lathe to 500 rpm. It works great for touching up an edge.

Aren't you neanderthals supposed to sharpen your tools by hand too?? Sheesh.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Robinson View Post
    Aren't you neanderthals supposed to sharpen your tools by hand too?? Sheesh.
    And work without lights :-)

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Someone on another site (I know Blasphemy) who built a shelf that goes to the left of the machine that is the same height as the top.

I built one myself and it works great. You can put the blade in the honing guide and use it with the worksharp. If you blades are in decent shape it only take a few minutes on each grit and the blase is nice and sharp.

I just sharpened the blades on my No 5 and MF 24 and the planes work great. I'll see if I can post a picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Jarvie View Post
    Someone on another site (I know Blasphemy) who built a shelf that goes to the left of the machine that is the same height as the top.

I built one myself and it works great. You can put the blade in the honing guide and use it with the worksharp. If you blades are in decent shape it only take a few minutes on each grit and the blase is nice and sharp.

I just sharpened the blades on my No 5 and MF 24 and the planes work great. I'll see if I can post a picture.
    OK...now THAT is a good idea. It would make it easy to camber irons too.

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    WOW. Just WOW. For anyone who's tried this tool and doesn't have the leather hone or the buffing wheel, you just don't know what you're missing. I get a mirror edge off the buffing wheel and the tools are sharp. I mean SHARP.
    I realize this is a pretty subjective question, but do you have a feel for how sharp of an edge you're getting? I guess what I'm asking is if you can you compare it to the edge obtained by other sharpening methods?

It's as sharp as I've ever gotten any edge, save for a straight razor. Again, the leather strop and felt buff are key. Straight off the abrasives it's OK but unimpressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Robson View Post
    I realize this is a pretty subjective question, but do you have a feel for how sharp of an edge you're getting? I guess what I'm asking is if you can you compare it to the edge obtained by other sharpening methods?
    I also use a WS3000. If its any indication, my left hand has virtually no hair left on it. I quickly swipe the blade across the back of my hand. If the hairs come off with no tug, I'm assuming its sharp enough. I can get the same sharpness with water stones but it takes much longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Jarvie View Post

There's some info on a tool holder developed for the WS2000 on the Woodworkers journal website. http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/Ma...lder_3508.aspx

I wish I would have thought about something like that before I picked up the Wide Blade kit for my 3000. Much bigger surface area than the WS kit, much cheaper too. I'll use my MK-II for my plane irons on my worksharp.

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    - because the iron will fly far and fast, and it could easily bounce into someone's face.
    Oh God, I have kids and I'm getting a total visual. Thanks David. Christ.