Thread: Belt Sander

Belt Sander

I am wanting to get a belt sander. I have a 6" belt/9" disc sander but I really don't use it all that much. The pieces are usually to big to do on the disc, since you are only supposed to sand on the down stroke side, and the belt isn't the most useful thing either even though I would like to use it. Even with the belt in the vertical position it doesn't allow a lot of room because the guard of the disc sander is on the right and interferes if you try to lay a longer piece of wood on it.

Anyway, I was looking at getting a belt sander that I could use at a workbench or clamp to the work bench and use that way.

I am thinking about the following two:
    Bosch 3x21 belt sander.
    http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-1274DVS-.../dp/B0000223HB
    or
    Porter Cable 2 1/2x14
    http://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cable-3...4611072&sr=1-2

Suggestions appreciated.

No experience with either but if you are looking at clamping to a bench the flat top of the Bosch will make it easier than the PC. I have Makita with a flat top and it works great when I have to lay it on the bench to do some hand sanding.

Cary,

I was more thinking using the belt sander clamped on its side, so I could do outside curves on larger pieces. Someone suggested I look at the Ridgid oscillating edge belt sander instead of a hand held belt sander. They didn't think I would use a hand held belt sander in the shop much.

I have several belt sanders in the shop, including an Hitachi 4 X 24, several Porter Cable 3 X 21's, and the Bosch 1274. I almost always reach for the Bosch first. it has a large platen, has plenty of power, has been extremely reliable, and can flush sand very easily. Also, Bosch customer service is outstanding.

Aaron
    I have a bunch of belt sanders collecting dust in my shop, and a couple that make dust. After 30+ years of wood working my Rigid osculating sander is one of the few that is making that dust on a regular basis. Just remember whatever kind of sander you choose, you really need some method of effectively collecting the dust.

As for the others still making dust, a Grizzly 1x42 belt/disc., and a Porter Cable 3x12 belt sander.

Randy Walker
    Grandpa
    Well equiped wood shop

Universal VLS230
    Sand Carving toys

Corel X8
    Randy Walker aka woodchuck
    Duck River Woodturners VP
    TAW member, Symposium comity member
    Volunteer Woodturners member
    Dickson Woodturners member

Love the Bosch 3x21 variable speed. Savannah Tool House has it for a couple of bucks less than Amazon.

I have a Roybi 4 X 36 with 6 " disk sander, and took off the metal support at the end of the belt. You can then run all kinds of long boards on it. Long board crosswise is just looking for trouble!
    Last edited by Keith Westfall; 01-10-2011 at 1:33 AM.
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

I have a PC 4 X 24 belt sander, and a 12" disc but if I had the room I'd get one of these or maybe an edge sander.
    Mike Harrison

I was really thinking up getting the Abranet sanding wire disc for my ROS but thought a handheld belt sander might be more useful, but I have been reading that belt sanders don't get used in the shop as much so then I thought then maybe I wouldn't either.

My first thought was to get the Abranet system (since it supposed to be more aggressive than regular sandpaper), then I thought a belt sander might make quicker work than the Abranet and be better than the belt/disc combo I have now.