Thread: What next? Expanding the hand plane collection...

What next? Expanding the hand plane collection...

I've been a plane user for nearly fifteen years, but since it has been the same plane for the entire time - the standard block plane - I need help now that I'm trying to expand my tool and skill set.

I currently have three planes:
    Veritas standard block
    Veritas Medium Shoulder
    Veritas #6 Fore

I would like your thoughts on which of the following three planes would expand and/or improve my hand plane capabilities the most: Veritas 4.5 HA Smooth, Veritas LA Jack, Veritas LA Block?

I can only afford one Veritas plane every three months or so, eliminating the "just buy them all now" solution. I realize a list of projects planned for the near future might be of use, but as I have a multitude of projects ready to be realized it really doesn't matter. I'm simply interested in expanding my ability to cope with woodowrking tasks bia the hand plane as much as possible. I assume the 4.5 HA and the LA Jack would add more to the mix than the LA block, but then again, what do I know? [In too many situations, the answer is "next to nothing."]

Garrett Hack's book is winging its way to me as I type, but even if I already had the book I would still want and value your advice. Thank you for any and all help.

-Steve

You have a very good start! I would add the Veritas LA Jack with both blades. It woorks wellas a smoother...the sides are square for shooting edges and miters...it is long enough to tru edges ...the adjustments are very smooth!

At some point you should get a 4 or 41/2 the veritas is a good one or Clifton or LN...
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

I agree with Mark. The LV LA Jack is a great plane to add to your collection Steve. I also suggest that you get the extra high angle blade to go with it.

I've used my LV LA Jack to smooth, joint, and with a shooting board to trim and square up end grain cuts. It is the most impressive plane I own.
    Possumpoint

The LV low-angle Jack with the additional high-angle iron is next on my list...it's already in my "wish list" on the LV site...I just need to push the button to send the order in. For an occasional Neander, the combination is nice, IMHO. I don't have time to recondition something old, so I'll be aquiring this way for my needs.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thank you all for the advice. I not surprised by the uniformity of the replies since I had already discovered the high degree of satisfication many of you have had and are having with the LA Jack.

I use the #6 as my jointer and general smoother on large surfaces, so I don't expect to get a lot of value out of the LA Jack as a jointer, but I may be surprised. I suspect I will get a lot of use out of it as a final smoother and as the plane to turn to whenever I encounter highly figured wood.

Just for the sake of reducing my level of ignorance, if the LA Jack is so wonderful, why would I even want a 4.5 HA?

EDIT: When I posted my question I was assuming the 4.5 HA is a better smoother than the LA Jack in most situations and the #6 Fore that I already own is a better jointer. I thought the LA Jack of all trades was a) the one plane to have when you're having only one, and b) an excellent choice for dealing with highly figured wood.

Thanks again.

-Steve
    Last edited by Steve Elias; 01-09-2005 at 9:45 PM. Reason: Add another thought...

A 4.5 high angle smoother will be a better smoother for North American hardwoods. I'm not sure I'd recommend a low angle jack/smoother for you since you've already got a 6. It's time to start specializing on smoothers.

Pam, who mostly uses Japanese smoothers, so if you want to be really adventuresome....

Thank you, Pam, for the additional insight. Your logic is compelling, as is that of Mark, Richard, and Jim. Of course, I'm almost back where I started. I suppose I'll be in decent enough shape to tackle a wide variety of projects regardless of which plane I purchase in the near future.

As far as adventuresome Japanese smoothers are concerned, I'll first have to see if I can handle the Veritas.

Thanks.

-Steve

Steve;

I have the LV LA Smoother, LA Jack, two Stanley 4.5's and a Miller Falls #10. This is in addition to several #3's & 4's of various manufacturers. As you might guess I went crazy on E-bay for a while. They call it a slippery slope but I went into free fall.

I find that I reach for the LA Jack first. I must admit that the LA Jack didn't do well on Ash however. It lifted the grain instead of cutting it. I had to go to one of the 4.5's.

I have a great deal of respect for Pam and others who use wooden planes and especially Japanese pull planes and get such great results. I have one wooden smoother that also gives me good service but I'm not confident with wooden planes like I am with the more modern metal ones.
    Possumpoint

Forgot to mention that I have the LV 4.5, the only metal bench plane I own, and it's a fine plane. I also have the LN 62, the first plane I was able to get to work properly, so, as you can imagine, I love it; however, I don't reach for it very often anymore. Probably because I've specialized to the point that it has fewer and fewer jobs to do.

Pam

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Steve,
    The LV LA Jack and LN102 are clearly the best performing planes in my fleet but I can't say enough about "The Rust Hunt". Researching, seeking out and restoring some of the old timers has been a most excellent adventure. Some of the people I have met along the way have been interesting and supportive, as well as the vast wealth of information here in the creek.
    There is nothing like taking a POS and finally getting a long and fluffy shaving out of it.
    Good hunting.
    Last edited by Tyler Howell; 01-10-2005 at 6:14 PM.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

I'll throw in a dovetail plane (ECE) if you want to go that route......