Thread: Acrylic settings

Acrylic settings

I'm having a bit of trouble with vector cutting 1/4" acrylic (plexiglass). I'm cutting it on a vector table with a 45w Trotec. Running 100 power and .25 speed, and while it cuts, I'm still getting some flash on the bottom side. My questions:
    What speed/power settings are you using (on what type of Laser)?
    Do you cut it on a vector table?
    Do you cut it with the paper backing removed from both sides or what?

Thanks for your help.
    Trotec Speedy 300.....45w
    Corel x4
    Not enough woodworking tools...

Epilog 40 watt..6 speed, 100power, 5000 frequency, vector table, usually leave paper on one side. If cutting with paper off both sides, I elevate it off the table with some shims etc to prevent that flash back
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

Similar to Larry, my 45 watt Epilog will cut it at speed 8 100% power. If the bottom has to be pristine I will leave the paper on, but most of my work is letters where the back goes onto a wall
    so I can leave it off. If painting the front I peel both sides, but even then flashback that shows
    marks is rare. I use a vector grid and air assist at 25 psi.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

I agree with all the other answers--leave the paper on the back. I'm in the minority but I like to use two passes for this material to keep down flaming.

I have the same machine as you and the cutting table is essential for this job.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

For times when flashback marks are critical (i.e. MUST NOT happen), I leave the protective film on the back and also add two layers of masking tape.
    Epilog Legend 32EX 60W

Precision Prototypes, Romsey, UK

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    I agree with all the other answers--leave the paper on the back. I'm in the minority but I like to use two passes for this material to keep down flaming.

I have the same machine as you and the cutting table is essential for this job.

Mike---Since you have the same machine, do you mind telling me what settings you use?
    Trotec Speedy 300.....45w
    Corel x4
    Not enough woodworking tools...

Bob

I'm pretty good about saving my settings by material but did not save this one. I would probably be at 100 P and maybe .5 speed at 5000 hertz with air assist. As I said, I like two passes.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Get it up off the table and the flashback will go away. Put some spacers under the material, maybe 1/4" thick or so and adjust the focus to allow for those. You'll get a nice clean edge with no tick marks. If you have pieces that will fall out, try and place spacers under those pieces so it won't drop.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

If you have ever put paper in the bottom of the laser and lasered through acrylic you will find that the beam will go way below the surface of the cutting bed, so much so that it can burn the paper on the bottom, so I wouldn't waste your time trying to find the speed where it stops just above because you won't find it. If you are getting the flashbacks off the cutting bed, raise it in the air by putting a small stack of evenly spaced pennies underneath or wooden gold peg tees underneath just to keep it above the level, it stops all the tick marks completely.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender