Thread: Bridgewood BW508 disassembly

Bridgewood BW508 disassembly

We have just recieved our new Byrd Shelix planer head for our Bridgewood BW508 planer. But we don't have the owner's manual and can't figure out how to take the old head out. Most of it is pretty straightforward, but the drive gears on the left side are stumping us. I tried calling Wilke Machine, but get a busy signal. Byrd was no help, they sent me to Wilke. Does anyone have any advice?

I found this unanswered thread. Does not look like ole Jim hung around. I found this thread while researching that particular planer. I am looking at getting that exact model. If any of yall have any advice or imformation pertinent to this planer I sure would appreciate hearing it. This will be the most expensive tool purchase I have ever made.
    <-------- Knows nothing of WoodWorking. Wants to know everything about WoodWorking.

Dang, that planer has impressive capability. It looks like it has 9" of cutting height and 20" of width. Weighs 1370lbs and has separate motors for the feed and cutterhead. Is it OK to ask what the price is?

Quote Originally Posted by david brum View Post
    Dang, that planer has impressive capability. It looks like it has 9" of cutting height and 20" of width. Weighs 1370lbs and has separate motors for the feed and cutterhead. Is it OK to ask what the price is?
    Certainly, Fred, the man that I am apprentice under is asking $6000 for it. I keep trying to find the value of the machine but these darn websites only want to sell you that information. Sad day indeed when it cost to find the value of a planer. I probably have some wiggle room with him on it but not much. If I could find what they are going for I could make a decision.
    <-------- Knows nothing of WoodWorking. Wants to know everything about WoodWorking.

Well, I can't get a link to work, but you can google a 1995 issue of American Woodworker which has a retail price list of most planers available at the time. Looks like it retailed for $4150, which makes 6K seem pretty steep by a factor of 3. Do let us know what you decide, though. It would be great fun to have one of those!
    Last edited by david brum; 01-30-2011 at 12:01 AM.

List on the HELICAL head seems to be three grand

http://shopping.hermance.com/Tooling...al-Planer-Head

I bet this will be a SWEET setup !

Quote Originally Posted by david brum View Post
    Well, I can't get a link to work, but you can google a 1995 issue of American Woodworker which has a retail price list of most planers available at the time. Looks like it retailed for $4150, which makes 6K seem pretty steep by a factor of 3. Do let us know what you decide, though. It would be great fun to have one of those!
    Thank You. That is what I needed. Now I can go armed with some information. I will let yall know what happens. I really need a heavy duty planer but I am not going to overpay for it. I've been doing pretty good selling FAS red oak around here but I am using Freds big planer and wide belt sander to do it. I need my own equipment. Fred is in his 70's and his machinery is not always going to be available to me.