Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3/4" Timberwolf 93 1/2" Bandsaw Blade

Blog Entries

3/4" Timberwolf 93 1/2" Bandsaw Blade

I need your advice before opening up my new Timberwolf 93 1/2" resaw blade. I purchased this new resaw blade for my Grizzley 14" G0555X to use to resaw hardwood from Woodcraft. The folks at the Richmond, VA Woodcraft store could not advise me weather to buy this blade (3 tpi narrow kurf silicone low tension) in 3/4" or 1/2" so I opted for the 3/4" blade. Before I open the package, does anyone have any practical experience running a 3/4" resaw blade on this Grizzley saw"? Is the 1 1/2 hp motor on this saw big enough to drive this Timberwolf blade? This bandsaw is practically brand new and the tires are in new condition. Do I need to return this blade and exchange it for the same blade in 1/2"?

I don't have experience with that specific saw, but in general I think 3/4" blades are too wide for most 14" saws. I have great results resawing with the 1/2" Timberwolf and Woodslicer blades on my 16" Walker Turner.

Generally speaking, a 1/2" wide blade is the widest blade that 14" BSs will tension properly. There are always exceptions. I got great resaw results from a 3TPI 1/2" blade on my Delta 14! Something tells me you will be happier with the 1/2" Timberwolf.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

The question is a minefield. Many have used that and thicker 3/4" blades on cast clone saws and report good results. Some will point out the Timber Wolf's factory recommended low tension setting. I am in the camp that feels 1/2" blades are the widest to be used on a 14" Delta cast clone (like your saw) due to the potential of not being able to get it up to proper tension without deflection severe enough to be an issue. The safe bet is to exchange it, or you could keep it and decide first hand which side of this issue you come down on.

Not to take anything away from your local Woodcraft but I do have a mantra that if your bandsaw blade is prepackaged it cost too much. Local industrial supply houses and online "fronts" for some of these sell bands welded to spec from quality stock like Lenox, Morse and Starrett for often half what prepacked blades sell for.

Blog Entries
    +1 on the 1/2" blade on 14" saws.

I am running that 3/4 blade on my 14" It resaws well. You can easily tell it's not ideal for the wheels and guides, tensioner etc.

Blog Entries
    Since its been so cold in the Shenandoah Valley, I am not in a hurry to go to my shop and try this 3/4" blade. The 14" Grizzley Timberwolf blade claims to use a lower tension than other available blades, and this saw has cast iron wheels so I will try the 3/4" blade when and if it every warms up. I expect that we are looking at several months of extremely copld weather here, and I didn't get the insulation installed in my shop.

Blog Entries
    I would recommend returning the 3/4" blade for a refund and ordering a 1/2" Woodslicer from Highland. I used a 1/2" TW and then went to the WS and it was a world of difference in the cut.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rimmer View Post
    I would recommend returning the 3/4" blade for a refund and ordering a 1/2" Woodslicer from Highland. I used a 1/2" TW and then went to the WS and it was a world of difference in the cut.
    I have to second this. My 3/4" timberwolf was terrible - the weld was crooked - and my 1/2" woodslicer is fantastic.

I have a HF 14" bandsaw, with the Timberwolf 1/2" 3TPI silicone steel blade. It is spot on for resawing. I think 3/4" is too wide for a 14" saw, but I could be wrong...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

Ken, I used that exact blade for a year or two. I does well and isn't too much for the G0555 it is what suffok recomended. But I get better performance out of a different blade a 5/8" for laguna. I think the saw does have a hard time tensioning it but it can be done. I am not a fan of timberwolf blades in general. I bought 4 of them when I bought my saw. In the end I have found a different manufacturer that I like better. Personally I think you can do better than a 1/2 blade on a 14" saw. I wouldn't return the blade they are cheap enough but experiment with other blades from different maufacturers and see what you like.

Do not use a 3/4" wide blade on a 14" band saw. A 1/2" blade works much better. All most all the experts will caution you on this.

I have the exact same saw and product thin veneer all day long using a 2-3 TPI skip tooth blade
    Howie.........

Blog Entries
    You folks had me convinced to keep the 3/4" 3tpi Timberwolf blade all the way down to the last post. Now I have to take it back to Woodcraft and trade them for the same blade in 1/2 ". Thanks guys.

Ken Gibbs
    Last edited by Glenn Clabo; 04-21-2011 at 9:49 AM. Reason: Language

Lotta naysayers to using 3/4 blade on a 14 inch saw. Timberwolf does make a 3/4 on .025 thickness stock--would be fine on your 14, just tension to the max. ("low tension" is nothing but sales hype--you can't change the laws of physics!) That said, 2 out of three Timberwolf blades that I bought, had very poorly aligned welds, and the one decently welded blade dulled in a hurry. I'm not a fan. Take the money from the T-wolf and order a 1/2-3 olson bi-metal or a 1/2-4 (.025) Lenox Diemaster 2 bi-metal blade. Either of these blades will outlast 8-10 Timberwolves, and only cost a few bucks more.

Bob

I've always run a 3/4" blade on my Ridgid 14" bandsaw with no problem. When I went to Woodcraft last weekend to get one they only had a 1/2" 3tpi. I was told that it would work just as good so I bought it. I hadn't had a chance to put it on yet but will soon.
    Donny