Thread: Finalizing overhaul of my old bandsaw.....1 question

Finalizing overhaul of my old bandsaw.....1 question

Hi all...As I posted earlier I am overhauling my old imported 14" bandsaw & things are going well so far. After installing new tires, I noticed that the blade is tracking closer to the edge on the lower wheel while tracking in the center of the upper one. Is the fix for this to add a shim or two to the lower shaft? Or is there something else I should look at? Thanks, Butch

Unless it's way off the middle (like so much you can't run a 3/4" band) I would not mess with it. You can check to see if the wheels are close to coplanar (1/8" is close enough). Once it's coplanar, this machine likely does not have an adjuster at the bottom wheel so you'd have to play games with shims at the top wheel or shimming whatever the lower shaft mounts to.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Bradley View Post
    Unless it's way off the middle (like so much you can't run a 3/4" band) I would not mess with it. You can check to see if the wheels are close to coplanar (1/8" is close enough). Once it's coplanar, this machine likely does not have an adjuster at the bottom wheel so you'd have to play games with shims at the top wheel or shimming whatever the lower shaft mounts to.

Pete
    Thanks, Pete.........Right now I have a 1/4" blade mounted and its tracking about 3/16" closer to the edge than the upper wheel which I adjusted to make it track in the center. I used a straight-edge to check for coplanarity[sp] and it looked pretty good. Guess I'll leave it until I try a wider blade.....Thanks again, Butch.