Thread: 14" bandsaw fence rails

14" bandsaw fence rails

I have seen on several sites listings for bandsaw fence systems with rails that are mounted parallel to the edge of the table. Several of them appear to be compatible with my saw which has no fence. My saw is a 14" import with parts that interchange with those of some Deltas, Jets and other imports. I would like to equip my saw with something similar, but would have to drill the edge of the table to accommodate the rail mounting bolts. What I would like to know from anyone out there who has a similar fence on their 14" saw is the distance (center to center) between the mounting bolts and whether or not the holes are tapped for threads or are smooth to take a bolt/nut. My table, although not drilled, has the casting nibs under the table edge where I could drill.......Thanks, Butch.

Hi Butch.
    My Taiwan Delta came with tapped holes in the front edge of the table. They line up(sorta) withe the holes on a Delta fence I found. I'll measure the c to c. tomorrow evening and let you know.
    Mick

Quote Originally Posted by mickey cassiba View Post
    Hi Butch.
    My Taiwan Delta came with tapped holes in the front edge of the table. They line up(sorta) withe the holes on a Delta fence I found. I'll measure the c to c. tomorrow evening and let you know.
    Thanks Mickey....I'll await tomorrow's post.
    Butch

I have a 14" Jet, and bought the Kreg Precision bandsaw fence. Awesome. Super easy to install, too.

Sorry, reread your question. I'd would actually find a fence you like, and then worry about making the holes for it, rather than the other way around.
    Last edited by Jaze Derr; 01-10-2011 at 9:38 PM.
    I wear my mind on my sleeve; I have a history of losing my shirt! -BNL
    A woman's work is never done-but power tools help!

Quote Originally Posted by Jaze Ficarra View Post
    I have a 14" Jet, and bought the Kreg Precision bandsaw fence. Awesome. Super easy to install, too.

Sorry, reread your question. I'd would actually find a fence you like, and then worry about making the holes for it, rather than the other way around.
    Hi Jaze,
    I would do that, but the product descriptions don't specify the mounting distances.....since my import can only be drilled in specific spots, I'd like to know it can be made to fit before shelling out the dough for it......BTW, I've looked at the Kreg fence and really like the looks of it....Thanks again, Butch

Ah, that makes sense. Let me go down and measure the mounting holes. It has a few, for different saws.

KREG.jpg

Ok, pic is from the manual for the fence.

A to B= 11 1/8"
    A to C= 11 1/2"
    A to D= 12 7/8"

Hope that helps!

AWESOME!!.......That means I'm in business....my drill points are 11-1/4" apart (give or take a couple of MMs)....are the holes tapped, or did you use bolts and nuts to mount the rail?.........Sorry to be persistent, but I just GOTTA know.....lol!!
    Butch

The holes in the fence are NOT tapped, the holes that were already in my saw table are tapped.

Thanks a bunch Jaze.......you've been a great help!!.......Butch in SC

No problem! I'll use any excuse to go fondle my bandsaw

I really can't say enough good things about the Kreg bandsaw fence. Super simple to use. A tad expensive, of course.

Just and FYI, I have a 14" Jet fence with resaw guide NIB listed in the classified section.

My Craftsman bandsaw came with a fence like you are describing. It's OK, but I'm thinking of getting one of the Carter Magnetic fences http://www.woodcraft.com/Family/2021...tic-Fence.aspx especially if I try some resawing.

Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Butch,

I would really consider Don's suggestion for the Carter Magnetic fence, saw it last month at the Chicago woodworking show and was very impressed. I have a Delta 28-475X 14" saw with the riser block, bit the bullet some time ago and bought the Laguna Driftmaster which is a great fence to say the least. It is my hope to add a larger BS to my shop in the future, if and when that happens the Driftmaster will move to the larger saw and the Carter Magnetic fence will follow me home for the 14" saw.

Heather

PS I had the original Carter fence and sold it to a fellow Creeker, it was a nice fence but kind of difficult to adjust for drift while resawing, just IMHO.
    Any thing with sharp teeth eats meat.
    Most powertools have sharp teeth.
    People are made of meat.

Thanks to all who responded!
    Butch