Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fluorescent bulb and fixture recommendations

Jim,

I used lithonia. I don't remember the model # but I can tell you it wasn't the cheapest and it wasn't the most expensive. I used Jack's article and selected a model that had a good electronic ballast in it. IIRC for I paid about $38 a fixture for them.

I have a plain open 4 bulb 8' T-8 fixture. I connected them end to end so all the wiring is internal to the fixtures in each row. At the end of each of the 4 rows is an outlet and a cord plugs into the outlet and runs to the first firxture in that row. Each outlet has it's own switch. With 4 rows..and 4 switches I can turn on/off 25% of the lights as I need it.

I have a friend who used that article and picked up his fixtures at a local electrical supply place. He paid about the same as I did but got a higher grade commercial fixture and is tickled with the outcome.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I also have the HD Lithonia units in both sizes. I had one that interfered with my radio, but changed the ballast out under warranty and problem went away. I use these bulbs I ordered online....http://www.businesslights.com/ushio-...-25-p-434.html I really like them. I ended up needing one bulb to get the latest 8' 4 bulb unit up and going and so got some Sylvania from HD, and I think it is the 95 CRI. I don't like it at all. Too blue. The above worked out to about $65.00 with shipping for 25 bulbs. Made in Germany. Couldn't be happier. Jim.

edit. shipping has gone up. 76.42 shipped to my zip now. Still 3.06 each for a really nice bulb.
    Last edited by Jim O'Dell; 01-11-2011 at 10:11 PM. Reason: added edit
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

How tall are your ceilings? It they are 15' (or taller) then these might do the trick. Full spectrum lights, T5 54watt HO, 5900K 93+ CRI. Bright and make the colors look like outdoors. I have two of the 6 tube fixtures. I also have 6 of the HD Lithonia w/the pull chain and 5000K bulbs.

http://www.fullspectrumsolutions.com...res_35_ctg.htm

Thanks guys, those are some useful suggestions. My ceilings are 9'6". One of the articles by Lindsey or Judge recommended using a plastic cover to increase bulb life. Has anyone used those and found them helpful?

Jim, my Stepson, east of you in North,SC, builted a 24X28X10 shop and wanted to put up fluorescent fixtures.
    We both did some research on watts, color, and price. He installed 3-rows of 100watt CFL's in cheap boxes with cheap fixtures on 3 switches
    from Lowes and has been very happy.
    I don't like transporting 8' blubs.

Quote Originally Posted by jim gossage View Post
    Thanks guys, those are some useful suggestions. My ceilings are 9'6". One of the articles by Lindsey or Judge recommended using a plastic cover to increase bulb life. Has anyone used those and found them helpful?
    If you are referring to the plastic tubes they certainly help extend life to any bulb that you would hit with a board, but they do get dust in them that cuts down on light output. They also make changing bulbs a little tougher.

Bubbabulbs (yes, really), an internet lighting store, sold me 32 Phillips T8 bulbs with a 98 CRI. They have lasted over 5 years with one failure. The high CRI makes the light very close to daylight. Tough to explain, but it "feels" good to work in this light. The downside is that hummingbirds occasionally fly in the shop, buzz the lights and won't leave until they are turned off.

I have my bulbs uncovered and open to the shop but half my shop has a 12' vaulted ceiling.

I mixed color temps. I think at the time, HD had 3 or 4 temps and I bought roughly equal numbers of them all and mixed them in the fixtures. Works for me.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by David Giles View Post
    Bubbabulbs (yes, really), an internet lighting store, sold me 32 Phillips T8 bulbs with a 98 CRI. They have lasted over 5 years with one failure. The high CRI makes the light very close to daylight. Tough to explain, but it "feels" good to work in this light. The downside is that hummingbirds occasionally fly in the shop, buzz the lights and won't leave until they are turned off.
    Bubbabulbs - I like that! They should go well in a South Carolina shop! I'll try to post some pics and reviews in a couple of months when the shop is done. Thanks for the recs.