Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kitchen refacing and concrete countertops done

That is a great job! As one that has "been there, done that" (but certainly not pouring concrete countertops) I understand your pain and feel your pride. I'm sure you and your family are going to get many years of enjoyment out of that kitchen. And I bet no one will ever question you when a new tool arrives!

Jay

Beautiful work Chris.
    In that last photo, the sink lokks like it's pretty close to the back edge of the counter. Were there any problems with cracking or breakage when you put that piece in place?
    I'd love to have concrete counters, but our sink is in an area that's awful narrow with long slabs on either side. Sure as the sun rises, I' snap that thing in half during the install...

Jay

There is quite a bit of space behind the sink because of the form of the sink, it has a bend in it and its an undermount. That strip of concrete I did put a crack in it and thats because after I took it out of the form I had it resting on a piece of foam and I didn't have it laying flat. When I put it in place the small crack didn't get any bigger and is hardly noticable. I put rebar and some steel mesh in those smaller stips of concrete and had no problem. Concrete tops are cheap to do and you can always do a re-do if something goes wrong. Just don't pour them 3 inches thick and have 400-450 lb slabs, thats scary to move.

if you give a countertop a 1"+ overhang from the drawer-face--you wont have to clean spills out of the drawers/off the drawer faces/cabinets etc, you'll only have to clean it off the floor.

Hi Chris,

Great job on the entire kitchen. Thanks for all the information on the counter tops. I'm sure I'll have more questions.
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

Thanks Chris.
    I failed to comment on the cabinets the first time around. Outstanding!

Since my wife and I have been discussing new counter tops, I had to show her your photos. She loves your kitchen! It looks like you've just helped to plan my spring and summer

Thanks again,
    Jay

Thanks Jay. I think your a few seasons short. I think this took me 5 seasons to finish.

Chris

Great job on both the cabinets and the countertops. If you did not like the color after the concrete had cured, could you have stained them darker before applying any sealers?