Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Once in a Blue Moon

Once in a Blue Moon

This is the third "real" hollow form I have attempted. Technically speaking, it is the best one so far. The walls are a uniform 1/8" thick and it "turned out" pretty much how I had envisioned it. Except for the color.

It was nice enough, pretty piece of maple burl with a lot of activity in the figure. But still... somehow it seemed like it needed something. I was thinking about trying a sunburst on it but then my eye fell on this bottle of blue leather dye. I don't have any blue shoes so I figured "what the heck". Ooo... waaaay too dark! All of that pretty figure just disappeared. So, out came the sandpaper. I thought if I was lucky, I could get that stuff off and save my little pot. But as I began to sand back the color, this "peacock feather" thing started to emerge. So I decided to let on that that was where I was going with it the whole time.

The collar is black dyed rosewood and the lid/finial is ebony. The lid has a taper that fits into a tapered hole in the collar. The pot is about five inches in diameter and nine tall including the finial. The top of the finial is supposed to be a small repeat of the shape of the pot.

blue_moon_1.jpg blue_moon_2.jpg
    David DeCristoforo

David that is a real nice hollow form. I like the shape and the color.
    Fred

Blog Entries
    Well, regardless of whether it was your original design intent.... it is beautiful. And I normally do not like having woods dyed or stained... this really stands out.

Nice hollow form. The finial is very nice. You did good.

I'm not usually one for stains either, but this looks like granite! Very cool.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Every time I think I'm making real progress reality smacks me. I like very much.

Sweet piece David...

8. That is a pretty one David. Unusual color, as you mentioned, but the feather you brought out really make this stand out as a nice piece. I like your finial also, especially how you fashioned the base, and how you fitted it in the hollow body. I think the tall finial works well on this one, it is tall, but not too tall, and the diameter is not too large, but adds just enough to make this a very nice work.

Good job!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Are you sure you don't have any blue shoes or are you just saying that because we are here? Beautiful job David. It takes some serious intestinal fortitude to throw some dye on a hard won beautiful piece like that. I like the finial as well. I think it highlights the form with out distracting from it.

Very nice David well done!!!!!

Alan

"Mistake" or no, that turned out beautiful!! I really like the shape and love the coloration! And the little "surprise" at the base of the finial is pretty cool too! Good job!!

Nice work. Just think, if you hadn't "messed up", you might not have such a beautiful hollow form. If I remember correctly, once in a blue moon happens every three years and is two full moons in the month of July.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

simply lovely.

joe
    Vortex! What Vortex?

"...once in a blue moon happens every three years and is two full moons in the month of July."

A "blue moon" is a second full moon in a given calendar month or the third full moon in a season that has four full moons. There will be no blue moons this year...
    Last edited by David DeCristoforo; 01-12-2011 at 6:37 PM. Reason: Doh!
    David DeCristoforo

One of the finest pieces I have seen on this forum. Kudos!!