Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My HF/Thien/Wynn conversions

Good point , Dan. The more of Bill Pentz's info on ducting I read, the more I became convinced that I wasn't likely to get the whole system exactly right, so I'm better off keeping things simple. I connect to most of my stationary tools with about 4' of 4" flex hose - without a bend in most cases - and that's more efficient than a thirty foot run of the best 6" metal ducting.

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Skillington View Post
    As you can see in the photos, I got a pair 2hp collectors on sale at Harbor Freight.
    Did you use or need two collectors to make your version?

No, John. But my space is long and narrow and, for efficiency's sake, I don't want to have to move a DC more than a few feet for a hook-up, so I made one for each end of the shop.

I have one suggestion that might be worth a try. On the center air exhaust try extending the end down to about 2 1/2" or 3" above the baffle. I did that and it seemed to improve the separation. I used a piece of flashing rolled into a tube and tape both ends of the flashing with metallic tape. So far so good.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    I have one suggestion that might be worth a try. On the center air exhaust try extending the end down to about 2 1/2" or 3" above the baffle.
    I think Phil say's 1/2 of the port size so 3" if 6". Maybe he will hop in here...

In principle, you're right, Curt. But the baffle's separation is perfect, as it is. My connection down to the baffle is a section of that trick accordion hose (can't remember Rockler's name for it), that snaps open and closed. I've got it clamped at the top end, but just snap it up and down, finger-tight, when I empty the can. It works great - no air leakage, and I can empty the can in about a minute, with no tools required.

Howard: beautiful, elegant, and smart !

Cory (Hi. Neil, from the LJs site !): would you get a cleaner run if you topped the input port, on your chip separator lid, with a 45* elbow ?

I see the same near-kink in your hose that I was seeing in mine.

It disappeared, incidentally, with the addition of Break The EuroDollar Bank smooth-bore hose. It just isn't nearly as bendable as my DustRight was.

Hey, Neil! I probably would get a little better flow with a 45 there instead of just clamping my hose on the lid. I'll look for a smooth 45 and see if that helps. Tell me more about your Uber-expensive hose.

BTW, your new bench looks great!

Quote Originally Posted by Cory Hoehn View Post
    Hey, Neil! I probably would get a little better flow with a 45 there instead of just clamping my hose on the lid. I'll look for a smooth 45 and see if that helps. Tell me more about your Uber-expensive hose.

You would get even better flow if you build the PT separator on top of the collection can and had a straight run in.

Quote Originally Posted by George Bregar View Post
    You would get even better flow if you build the PT separator on top of the collection can and had a straight run in.
    George, I think I know what you're talking about, but I'm not certain. Do you have a pic?

http://www.flexaust.com/tractor-vacuum-hose

Thanks very much ! It was a fun (if ... longer than expected) build !

Where did you get that hose, Neil? How long and how many Euros did it cost you?

Where did you get that hose, Neil? How long and how many Euros did it cost you?
    Here:

http://www.blastgateco.com/Flex-Hose.htm

I got 20' of it ... at .... [gulp] .... $9.30/ft.

Scuse me. Have to go cry a little, now.

[It's GREAT hose. Worth the money ? Hmm. Is Festool ? Is Felder ?? ]

George, I think I know what you're talking about, but I'm not certain. Do you have a pic?
    The problem with building the separator in the collection drum is that for simplicity you make both the inlet and outlet in the lid so you have a flat surface. This forces two tight bends back to back...a 45 to convert the horiz run to the vertical fitting on the lid, and an immediate 45 to convert back to horizonatal in the seperator. If you build it on top of the collection drum then you have a straight shot. Here is an example from PT's forum that I will be using: http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/...r/P1040842.jpg The added advantage is that you don't steal capacity in the drum, but it does make your height a little taller. I'm not sure if this improves separation but it would certainly improve flow...one less 45. This would have more of an advantage with solid pipe with a straight shot into the separator "topper". Hopefully Phil can hop into this thread, he would certainly be the expert from experience.

Nice, George. Saved THAT picture.

One thing I've been trying to do, as I plan my dust collection strategy, is to ensure -- as much as possible -- little to no throw-away.

In other words ... I made a thoughtful decision before buying an expensive piece of 4" diameter hose ... because ... when I PLUMB my shop ... I'll use either 5" or 6" duct, rendering the 4" stuff pretty much obsolete.

What I like about the OPs, and Cory's, and Howard's, and George's methods/suggestions is .... it would seem to me that ... if you got yourself a 3HP *blower*, later, it would simply be plug-and-play. It wouldn't render anything in the system obsolete.

Which is pretty important to me.

Maybe another thing to think about, along the path to a Clean Room: planned scalability.