Thread: Kreg Pneumatic "Foreman" Pocket Hole Machine?

Kreg Pneumatic "Foreman" Pocket Hole Machine?

I recently picked up a used pneumatic Foreman pocket hole machine. I have a question about the power of air drill motor. Even at 120+ PSI it still takes several seconds maybe even six or seven to complete a cycle. I can stall the air motor out I think rather easily. According to the instruction manual it is supposed to complete a cycle in one second.

Yes my air compressor is more than adequate, I have even hooked it up directly to the compressor through a high-volume 3/8 inch connector.

I am wondering if this is typical or if my air motor is weak?
    If this is typical of the air motors does the electric version have more power? I have never used or seen one except the one I have.
    Thank You
    Ed

When was the last time you changed your bit?

I have the DB55 also and it takes about one second to pull the handle, drill the hole and retract in 3/4" red oak and and maple and all plys I have used. I use a 60gal 6 hp Puma (when they were still made in Tn) compressor with high flow fittings. Sounds like you need a call to Kreg if it is not the bit. They will swap out your drill for you I am guessing.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I had one years ago, and like Mike's it would cycle in 1 to 2 seconds. To add to what Mike said, does the bit turn freely by hand? The older one didnt have an automatic oiler, and the air motor could use some oil. If oiling dosent do it, call Kreg, they are a great company to deal with.
    MadeByJCB

New drill bit is in it.
    I bought the machine used, it does have the automatic oiler on it but it was out of oil when I received it I did add oil to it.

My compressor is plenty large enough I don't recall the exact specifications but it is a 7.5 hp I believe it's around 18 CFM.

They want $300 for a new motor which would still put me considerably less than the cost of a new machine. I guess I will check into seeing if I can get this one rebuilt.
    Thank You
    Ed

I have had mine since they were introduced. I do have to disassemble the motor and clean out the sawdust about once a year. Then it runs like new. I still dont know how it gets all gunked up though.

If I remember correctly the air drill is a brand made by snap-on. Should be able to get a rebuild kit for it from them.

The air drill is Sioux brand which is sold by Snap-On.
    Last edited by tim young; 02-06-2011 at 12:18 AM.

I would think you need to use 1/2" line, 3/8'' will not flow enough air. To check this put a gauge at the drill and watch it drop as the air is used.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

When I bought my Kreg Foreman, it was a demo model I it worked great in the store. After hooking it up in my shop, the motor had no power & would stall. I called Kreg & was told that there is a screen in the air line that needs to be cleaned. I do not remember where it is for sure. I believe it is in the fitting where air hose attaches to the machine. After I cleaned the screen the power improved, but it would still stall at times & did not work as well as it did in the store. Like you I had 120 lbs of pressure.
    Last fall I bought a larger used air compressor. The next time I used the Kreg drill, I could drill holes as fast as I could pull the handle. It never stalls now.
    With my old compressor, I had plenty of pressure but not enough air flow. The pump had plenty of capacity, the problem was in the built in regulator. All of the tubing was 1/4" ID & it was not letting enough air flow through the lines. My larger compressor has a 1/2" connection to the regulator.

Thanks for the relies.

I have contacted Sioux they refereed me to a local repair shop, the local shop informed me that Sioux does not supply parts for these drills but that they could get parts from "Craig Tool" which I assumed meant Kreg. I contacted Kreg and they only offer a new motor $300 no parts.

When I get some time I will take the motor apart and clean it out.

Air volume is not an issue.

I may get an electric motor for it $200. I would imagine I could just wire the electric motor to a simple on off switch.
    Thank You
    Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rosenberger View Post
    the problem was in the built in regulator. All of the tubing was 1/4" ID & it was not letting enough air flow through the lines. My larger compressor has a 1/2" connection to the regulator.
    I actually put a tee in off of my compressor and ran a strait 1/2 line to the tool by passing the regulator
    it did not make a difference.
    Thank You
    Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Hazel View Post

Air volume is not an issue.
    If you are not using 1/2" lines air volume is an issue. The compressor is capable but the lines are not able to flow the air.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Ed, you don't have any quick couplers in there, do you? Mine came with high-flow quick couplers. I wouldn't be too afraid to disassemble, clean, and oil it or even just flush it. I've done the latter with WD40 on used air tools that didn't work well and got them working quite nicely.

I wouldn't convert it to electric to save $100.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rosenberger View Post
    I called Kreg & was told that there is a screen in the air line that needs to be cleaned.
    You guys peaked my interest this morning so I went out to look for the "screen" I found it, The screen is in the fitting that screws directly into the back of the air motor it was clogged. I cleaned it out and what a difference 1 second pocket holes. Wonder why the "screen" is not mentioned in the manual?
    Thank You
    Ed

One other problem that happens with the pneumatic version is the air valve that is activated by the handle becomes faulty. I was told by the Kreg technician that it would need to be replaced at a cost of $100. I was pretty upset because I bought the pneumatic version because of the claimed long life of the tools if they are oiled properly. Mine is, and after two years this valve started to fail. I would pull the handle and nothing would happen. After about 15 seconds the hold down would activate and the motor would spin up slowly to full speed. After using it a few times it would act normal again until you let it sit over night. Then you would have to do the same thing by holding the handle for 15-20 seconds.

I pulled the valve apart and it was a bit gooey inside. I cleaned it out and regreased it and it worked again, for a short time. Maybe 50 holes before it started to do its thing again.

Many months when by and I thought about getting the valve. I pulled it apart again, cleaned it out and greased it and it worked again for a short time. But again started the delay problem.

This time I had a good working vision of what went on inside the valve. The spring seemed insufficient to push the piston out that directed the air to the motor and the hold down. Well, I couldn't find another comparable spring so I did the next best thing. I stretch it out. I put the valve back together and now the motor activates like it is new. Pull the handle and it instantly activates the hold down and motor.

I think I will look to see what that screen looks like too. You are right, it should be mentioned in the manual.