Thread: riser blocks and bandsaw performance

riser blocks and bandsaw performance

I had been debating putting a riser block on my 14 inch powermatic bandsaw but was wondering if that would affect any accuracy or tracking/drift? I am pretty new to the world of bandsaws. How do olson or timberwolf blades rate?

Brent I have a riser on my PM bandsaw, I think the most important part is take your time, get everything lined up correctly and your wheels coplaner. Once set up and adjusted correctly, it works just as well as it did without the riser. I had to grind the locating pin down to get my wheels coplaner, after that it has worked great.

There is a ton of great information here on bandsaw blades, I like woodslicers myself.

I have always had a riser block on my Delta 14". Bought it slightly used in about 1964. No problem with performance. I believe the riser has locating plugs in it to keep you from getting the saw twisted when assembling. At least old Deltas do.

I spent a year with my Grizzly G0555X, while my riser block sat in its original packaging.

When I finally DID install it, the ONLY change I noticed was ... a rather miraculous increase in my resaw capacity

Very shortly after the riser block, I DID install new guide bearing mounts, cool blocks, a Carter King Coil, the Carter Ratchet Rod, and ... a 1/2" Wood Slicer. THOSE things made a BIG difference.

The riser block, itself, though: nope. Lost nothing.

I haven't seen any issues with a riser block on a saw as long as it was installed correctly, which is not hard.

Regarding bandsaw blades you might take a look at this thread:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...hlight=bandsaw

Blog Entries
    I too put one on my G0555 and it's been there for about four years now. The extra capacity isn't something I use that often, but when you need it, you are always thankful you have it. The only downside I noticed was that when using a very small blade (3/16), the guides changed position slightly from top to bottom. Since I use cool blocks, it isn't an issue, but if they were the oringal metal ones, you would have to re-adjust.