Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: need help choosing a machine

need help choosing a machine

I am looking to buy a turnkey machine I have about 4000 to spend can anybody help point me in the right direction. I am wanting it to cut guitar bodies and necks

what dimensions cutting area is that? Could require a VERY TALL Z!
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

1.75 is an electric guitar thickness i was looking at the cnc shark pro plus but im not certain of the quality.

Before I built my own I did a lot of research and the shark was on my list for a turn key machine. As long as you under stand it is not a production machine. The main draw back I saw with the shark is that it has a single drive X asis. With ad cutting width of 24" That can put quite a racking force when cutting on the ends.

Does the Shark use it's own software or can you run Mack3 on it, I think getting a CNC that uses the standard software is a must
    Hardware:
    CAMaster 508 ATC + Recoil
    2013 Trotec Speedy 100, 60 watt, rotary attachment, vector grid.
    Software:
    CoralDraw - Aspire 9 - EnRoute

Custom Architectural Signage
    Mick Martin Woodworking

Mick,
    The Shark uses its own software.
    I had one before I went to the Camaster. Not bad but not for the level of production I needed, plus I needed something bigger.
    Michael

I have access to mastercam can i do my design and toolpaths on mastercam and post my code to the controller of the shark?

I make guitars, and I'm a former Shark (original) owner. The main drawbacks to the Shark are that the 25" Y travel is not long enough to mill a whole standard scale guitar neck without moving the workpiece, which is far from ideal. Also, the Colt is workable but really underpowered and inefficient compared to even a regular 1/2" collet router. Lastly, and I'm not sure if the Pro Plus improves on this versus the original Shark but the original was not rigid enough to give me the results I was looking for. For example, when milling fretboard radii with the length of the fretboard along the Y axis, I would end up with a wavy fretboard due to whip in the Y leadscrew.

The upsides are the price, the fact that it is turnkey, and the included Vectric software.

Also, my phone calls to Rockler about the whippy Y screw went unreturned.

i spent 2500 on a carvewright at a time when i could afford to lose a buck on a bad tool, i own a large shop so the CW was a toy that i expected to be expendable when i purchased it, ultimatly i purchased a larger and heavier cnc machine and my expectations were not skewed by the carvewright but at least i knew its limitations. my point is one can save tooo much money on these things and be extremly dissapointed. a shark is a starter hobbiest machine and has a following if you want to make a guitar and have some time to kill it probably will do it, yet like mike said "make guitars" (plural) this machine would not be on top of my list

So Can anybody point me in the direction of a machine of better quality comparably priced?

justin unfortunantly in the way of a manufactured machine the choices are slim to none at 4000.00, when i was discussing the future stinger with the developer i was adamant about the 24x36 size and the 4-4500 price range, he basically told me he would not do it as the money is in the components, bearings and slides. not to long after the "pcnc" machine (which i thought was cute and the answer to all our problems on this) failed miserably and a few owners were left holding crap machines and some never even got the machine (yet paid) his failure was in the chaep materials used for the machine. that said it can be done as was mentioned the "joes cnc" will meet the price and quality range yet you have to build it to make it worthwhile. i have done plenty of homework on this (love watching the business end of it) and can now have sincere empathy for the fellows who make these things.

Okay So what about this machine makes it a non production machine? and what should I look for in a machine? I have access to a machine shop I am going to school for programming and operating cncs. but we have a haas mill. If I was to machine a bigger holder for a 3hp router would that help one of those along?

How much more is a Stinger vs a Shark. I would be all over the stinger if I wanted turnkey and the 24X36 size fit the bill. It looks amazing. Even at $5K it would be worth teh $1K increase to get the comapany behind it and the standardized components. It is a beuty to see in person. That and and their cobra line with recoil - they all make me drooooool every time I see it. Dream machines for me!!

The Joes I built is not turn key at all - It is a set of line drawings and access to a forum of DIY guys that love the build and a direct line to the designer and his faithful helpers (many of which are also go to guys here). It will cost you about $2500-$3500 to build it without a computer or cad/cam software and the standard size is 72"X72" external dimensions. It can be customized all you want. I built one in about 5 weeks from the day I ordered the plans to the day I was cutting so you have to factor in time for the build. UPS will be at your house every day for a solid two weeks and you will go to local hardware vendors daily for about a week and a half. I put it at a skill level 6.5-7 out of 10 - requires some steel and alum cutting, drilling, and tapping and the ability to read between the plans when it comes to building it - a lot of research on thr forum provided was what I had to do and I asked a lot of questions. You also build your own controller box to house your stepper motor controller. You will have about 62"X49'X5" cutting area when you get done as built to the dimensions in the plans.

There is also a new shopbot table top that I have not read a thing about. Shopbot families remind me of harley davidson families. Awesome support there too and a community that is second to none in the CNC world IMO. I would not pass on one of those for free at all either!!!

Get a Stinger ordered up, upgrade the colt if you want, and get cutting!!
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Justin, First you need to decide do I want to buy or build. You stated you want to buy a turn key CNC setup, I was in the same situation, I have the knowledge to build a CNC but not the time, I went with a CAMaster Stingers, solid, good quality, great support and forum and within my $$$ range.

Try to find someone in your area where you can run a demo file of what you want to make, this way you can see the machine run and ask questions. I went to Jim McGrew's and was able to see the CAMaster Stinger in action.

Mick
    Hardware:
    CAMaster 508 ATC + Recoil
    2013 Trotec Speedy 100, 60 watt, rotary attachment, vector grid.
    Software:
    CoralDraw - Aspire 9 - EnRoute

Custom Architectural Signage
    Mick Martin Woodworking

Yeah 4000 is the very top dolar i can spend. I would love to have a stinger but 5895 plus shipping plus table upgrade is just out of reach. Has anyone heard about the chinese machines on ebay?