Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Band Saw Search Over?

My Band Saw Search Over?

Well, not sure if I ought to call this a gloat just yet... Yeah, I got it home. Yeah, I got it safely in the shop. But I haven't fired it up yet.

While I have an old Grizzly 18" band saw, I've been looking for something with more resaw capacity. My 80's Grizzly only has a 9" resaw. I've seen 20" Deltas come up for sale recently in 2 auctions and one on CL. At the one auction, it went for $800, the next auction, $750. The CL ad had it on for $800, no idea what it went for, but I sent the guy a couple emails with lower offers and he didn't even return my emails.

So, last night, I saw this ad... It simply said Industrial Band Wood Saw, and the guy's number. I emailed him asking him the brand, size and age, then realized there was a number. Called and left a message. This was at 8:30 in the evening. Well, this morning I got up, did all my chores, it was 9 am, I hadn't heard from him. I just chalked this one up to another loss. He calls me at 9:15. He says he doesnt' know any of the info I wanted. He got it in an inheritance. He thinks the brand is an A & B. Hmmmm, I wondered... Never heard of that one. I asked about the distance from the blade to the "arm" to the left of the blade. After a couple minutes of rumaging around, he found a tape, and responds, "20 inches". And the distance from the table to the bottom of the upper wheel? (If I had said resaw capacity, I know he would have NO idea what I meant.) "12 inches", he replied. I told him I was on my way.

Turned out to be (after a little reseach) a Delta 28-350 made in 1966 (I was unaware of the model number and date until after I got home. There was a plate with a serial number, but no other info on the saw.) The wheels moved freely. It had a blade on it and it tracked quite well. Spinning the wheels it was rather smooth and quiet. It needs new belts (there are two in line with one another). There are a couple of minor parts that I've noticed that it needs/could use, but otherwise, it is in decent shape. Heavy bugger... The only real bummer thing about it, is more of a self kicking that I didn't catch it at the time. The motor is a replacement. It is 1.5 hp single phase 220/110 wired for 220. The motor is WAY too big (meaning actual size, not hp) for the inside of the base. So whoever put the motor in (which is still a bit of an old motor) cut a whole in the front of the base (where you stand) so the motor could "hang out" a little so it would work/fit. This also leads to the other problem with the motor size...it interferes with what I believe to be the foot brake because it rests on it. So, I am considering putting a 1.5 hp motor that I already have (long story, but basically new) on it, or maybe swapping out the 2 hp motor on the Grizzly to put into the Delta 28-350 and putting the spare 1.5 hp onto the Grizzly. 1.5 hp is WELL enough for a 9" resaw.

Hehe, didn't much think about it fitting into my shop until I got home. Foot print wise, yeah, I thought about that. Getting it into the doorway, didn't think of that! It baaaaaarely fit. But I got her in. Glad I have a tractor. Don't know how I would have unloaded this thing by myself otherwise.

Some quick picks. Maybe others to follow when she gets cleaned up and back together. Yeah, I have the table, it was taken off for transport. And NO, this will not be a rehab project like my lathe. I don't mind that there are scratches etc on her.

And I picked her up for a cool $575...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mike Cruz; 01-14-2011 at 9:22 AM.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Congrats, looks like a great score! But you didn't tell us the price paid, which I am guessing is the best part...

Nice score Mike!
    Mick

Mike I like it. I also like your equipment mover, green my favorite color. I got more snow than you and I'm south of you a couple hours. Sounds like you are having fun.
    Fred

Nice score Mike. That is why I have a 12' garage door LOL Oh and by the way I'm certain you are glad ya didn't get rid of them motors yet huh????

That is one big piece of machinery. You must be ramping up to make some ....OVERSIZED.... golf clubs with this baby.
    Who knew your could have so much fun with such a small chunk of wood

I dunno...... Looks kinda flimsy

Sorry, Victor. I added it to my OP...$575...

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Robinson View Post
    Congrats, looks like a great score! But you didn't tell us the price paid, which I am guessing is the best part...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Nice bandsaw Mike. Has character! Looks like someone once wished it was a powermatic or my monitor is off. Saw one for 400 on the Maine CL this summer. Too big and too far to haul it back but I would have loved to have had it.

This is a great saw. Have one like yours, made in 1957. May not have all the bells and whistles of newer saws, just a good basic USA built machine. The table is very heavy, the table trunnion is massive. My previous saw was a 14 inch Delta, a good saw, but not in the same league as the 20 inch machine. It will tension any blade you put on it. I smile every time I use mine.

When you get it set up and running post a comparison between it and your Grizzly saw.

Lots of info on this saw on owwm.com

Blog Entries
    Mike,

You know you're allowed to call and request help with moving this stuff, right?

Oh, I'm not saying you can request it from me, I'm just sayin'...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Nice!! I like that tractor also, maybe I'll be asking Santa for one next this Christmas.

Hey Mike, There has to be one hell of a "fish story" that goes with that little lure you have hanging over your shop door. We've got to hear that one sometime. Nice score on the band saw.
    The lyf so short The craft so long to lerne

Yeah, that's pretty funny. Don't get me wrong, I like Grizzly. But back then, their 18" BS's were not, let's just say, anywhere near the league of this Delta. I don't think the comparison will be necessary. And just to be clear, I'm not slammin' the green here...

[QUOTE=When you get it set up and running post a comparison between it and your Grizzly saw. [/QUOTE]
    I drink, therefore I am.

Seems Santa already has his hands full...
    I drink, therefore I am.