Thread: Air Filtration Secret?

Air Filtration Secret?

I am purchasing a new Air Filtration cleaner for my basement wood shop. Probably a Powermatic or a Jet.

Can anyone provide me with suggestions or hints on where best to mount it in my basement ceiling in relation to tools etc? I have a table saw, sanders, planer, drill press,jointer, miter saw and router table. Is there a secret to getting the air to flow best?

ANY tips will be appreciated. THANKS!

Blog Entries
    I mounted mine over the table saw where it is out of the way and more or less centered in my shop. It seems to clear the air, or at least the filters get dirty when I remember to turn it on.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Mine is mounted to the side of my table saw and works very well.

I mounted mine on the wall of my shop (basement shop) near ceiling height, mid way along the longest wall. My theory is that the exhaust stirs the air around in the shop and does a better job of clearing the air overall. Not sure how well my theory is working, but it does seem to do a pretty good job. I also oriented my dustiest tools (disc/belt sander) closest to the front intake, although I maybe rearranging that bit of shop area for better work efficiency for my nearby jointer. I have a Jet model. I also made sure to leave reasonably easy access to the front intake for filter cleaning, and the back for controls.

Daryl, most of the filter makers seem to recommend mounting it from the ceiling along your longest wall. This mirrors Brian T.s post pretty much on the money, for aiding air flow around the shop/work space in a circular motion. Visit several websites like JDS and other air filter makers for better info. The other key they stress is to leave the unit running for awhile after you've shut down to get the most dust removed from the shop air. All the newest units with timers/remotes that allow this really help with the process.