Thread: old rockwell bandsaw questions

old rockwell bandsaw questions

Hi, this is my first post, but I've been lurking for awhile now. I picked up this old rockwell bandsaw (it's a rockwell model 14 #28-243) a few weeks ago and am debating if it's worth spending the money for riser blocks, new blades and possibly a new motor (currently .5HP) or to just continue using it as is and getting a better machine at a later date. any thoughts? I've already bought a fence for it and need to get some blades.

Also, it tends to make quite a racket when on, i tried a new v-belt but that didn't seem to help. Have thought about making a closed stand for it and getting a better mobile base, but not sure if either of those would help.

thanks

Here are some pics:

Chris,

Glad you decided, as they say, to "Swim In The Creek". It's a pretty cool place to visit. But as I'm just barely tredding water I'll have to refrain from commenting on you problems with that saw.

Hi Chris -

Welcome to the Creek! Glad you joined up!

I would recommed against adding a riser block to the saw. At ½HP, it is too underpowered to support a greater depth of cut. I have a 14" Jet w/ riser and at 1HP, that is a little underpowered for thicker resawing. It takes a while to cut 8" of cherry. Based on that, I got a Minimax 16. There are other, less expensive saws a step up in size from what you have. Recommend do some reserch in to them. Rikon, Grizzly, Jet, Minimax, etc . . .

Welcome,
    Ted

Hi,
    I Have one of these except with the enclosed stand that came with a riser that I bought used for $200. Since then (15 years ago) I've put a new motor on it (1 HP, should have been 1 1/2 HP) a rockler table and fence, Carter guides, machined pulleys and a carter tensioning release bar. Needless to say that I have as much into this as I would have If I had bought a new decent machine but at the time it was all I could afford and I did have a saw all that time without having to wait (which I hate) saving up for the ultimate machine. Now a days you can get something pretty decent for about $1200.

Craig
    Sebastopol, Ca

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Hello Chris, welcome to the Creek.
    I use to have one identical to yours right down to the on/off switch, see link: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=9488
    I had it for a little over 20 years and it was a good, reliable BS. It looks like you are missing part of the belt guard. I found that 95% of the vibration was coming from the belt guard, so I mounted a block between the lower frame body and the back of the guard and presto, most of the vibration vanished!
    Give it a try.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

That's a nice saw and it's actually the "classic" saw that virtually all the current crop of 14" machines are patterned after...certainly worthy of restoration. Even with it's current low hp motor, it's a nice machine for scrolling and general bandsaw use and would even compliment a large, heavy Euro saw in the same shop at some point. With a riser kit and a 1.5hp motor, it would handle all but the heaviest of work with ease. Further, if you fix it up, use it for while and then move up to a bigger machine, if you didn't want to keep it, you could likely get most, if not all your investment back. IMHO, of course.

The racket is likely just due to the need for a good dose of normal maintenance and alignment, etc.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Great, I've already had to put some money into fixing it up. What with the fence, link belt and I had to replace the lower guide blade bracket cause on of the set screws was stripped out. Oh, and I got a set of cool blocks for it. I'm still going to come out way under the price point of a new one, plus it freed up enough money for me to buy the bridewood 10lts cabinet saw.

I've done a bit of resawing with it and even with the 1/2HP motor and old blade it seemed to do just fine. I actually made a bunch of candle holders that were in this issue of woodsmith http://woodsmith.com/main/ws156toc.html for x-mas gifts.

But I'm at that point where I want to get new blades and I figure if I'm going to invest in some new blades I should decide on the riser first.

Any other options besides these guys for the riser
    http://www.sawcenter.com

I'm going to try tightening everything down, putting a piece of plywood across the lower part of the stand and I'll put the belt guard back on. I've already done a pretty good tune up on the guides and bearings and got the wheels aligned per duginske's book. Anything else I should try?

I have a fairly old rockwell too. Looks a lot like yours only my belt/pulley cover is in place.

I did put a riser kit on mine, but only because I one for an awsome price from the bargain bin at the local Delta/Porter Cable store in Tampa.

Other wise, I pbly would not have done it.

It works fine but I haven't tried to do any heavy resawing? I am on the slow hunt for a power upgrade though.

To answer your question, i would add the kit if the kit can be found at a discounted price.

Tks
    Joe in Tampa...