I do use tight fitting leather gloves when rough turning. The gouge I use is long enough that I am several inches from the work piece and I use my own designed, high profile, tool rest as a guard. My left hand rides rides the flange at the bottom and protected by the angled piece upon which the tool is supported when cutting. Use a long gouge with full round tang that is embedded 4" into the handle. Roughing gouges I use are 3/4" , 7/8" and 1". I have trashed several flat tang chisels, flat tangs just can not withstand the leveraged forces generated by aggressive roughing. Also I check new gouges for embedded handle depth and drill deeper if needed. My favorite gouges are the larger Glaser's and round tang Sorby;s. I have not worn any finger jewelry in 20 years: 24/7/365 (hours per day, days per week, days per year). Also have not had the Rolex on in 20 years, I would sell it but it was my Dad's from whom I learned at an early age the basic essentials of wood and metal working. It seems the experiences learned from an early age are well understood. Wish they had computers in 1940.