Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are gloves safe

Blog Entries
    I do use tight fitting leather gloves when rough turning. The gouge I use is long enough that I am several inches from the work piece and I use my own designed, high profile, tool rest as a guard. My left hand rides rides the flange at the bottom and protected by the angled piece upon which the tool is supported when cutting. Use a long gouge with full round tang that is embedded 4" into the handle. Roughing gouges I use are 3/4" , 7/8" and 1". I have trashed several flat tang chisels, flat tangs just can not withstand the leveraged forces generated by aggressive roughing. Also I check new gouges for embedded handle depth and drill deeper if needed. My favorite gouges are the larger Glaser's and round tang Sorby;s. I have not worn any finger jewelry in 20 years: 24/7/365 (hours per day, days per week, days per year). Also have not had the Rolex on in 20 years, I would sell it but it was my Dad's from whom I learned at an early age the basic essentials of wood and metal working. It seems the experiences learned from an early age are well understood. Wish they had computers in 1940.
    David Woodruff

If you don't know where you're going, it doesn't matter how you get there.

I'll use a nitrile glove on my left hand when working wet woods, particularly those that stain, and on my right for finishing operations. They tear so easily that I consider them safe.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this trick. Whenever I have issues with hot shavings or sharp chips I simply apply a short piece of duct tape (the cheep stuff, not gorilla tape) over the side of my hand and down over the little finger. Just enough to cover the area having the problem. I do not wrap it around the hand or finger, 1/3 of the circumference of the finger at most. The tape works quite well to deflect the chips and heat, and it will pull off almost as easily as a nitrile glove will rip.

Are gloves safe? Is a lathe safe? I think it depends on how smart the user is, truly. Lyle Jamieson often has gloves (finger-less) on and he is one of the most careful folks I have ever seen use a gouge. I use finger-less anti-vibration gloves (due to carpal tunnel syndrome) and I have never had an issue. Having said all of that, if you are wearing them and have a moments distraction at the wrong moment, you are going to lose a hand or worse.

Also, I cannot for the life of me think why anyone would wear gloves while using a bandsaw or tablesaw. In my eyes, that is asking for trouble.

I wear gloves all the time in my shop. Without gloves, I'd be getting constant splinters. Rough wood is notorious for giving splinters...especially Leopardwood. I can't imagine handling lumber without gloves. Now, sowmeone in this thread said they can't imagine wearing gloves while using a bandsaw....

I feed large bowl blanks into my bandsaw all the time. Often they are frozen yet, and have the bark on. It would be most uncomfortable doing this without gloves. Plus, when I am resawing wood, again, I am handling rough lumber, and I'd be full of splinters if I didn't wear gloves. Try resawing a couple hundred board feet of rough red oak, and Leopardwood, and tell me what shape your hands are in.

Guess I'm gonna jump in also with another vote for NO gloves. As careful as I try to be I have had my moments of carelessness and lost a chunk of meat from my hand. If I had gloves on believe it would have been a lot worse. I dont even like to wear long sleeves.
    Never go to bed angry, stay up and fight. Its much more fun.

Mostly no to gloves in the shop.
    Yes to nitrial gloves. I use them a lot. but not on the lathe. I have cut off the fingers on the cotton gloves with the black dots. I have used them only a few times on the lathe. Like anything woodworking it is best to keep your hands away from spinning machinery. Yes the chips get hot, I get it. I step back and let things cool off and shake off the chips then start again. I have worked around machinery most of my working life and you need to have respect for what your working with. And keep your head in the game at all times.

I have a nice heater I am able to position over my lathe and it has 2 compact florescent bulbs in it.

Here is the same light I have.http://www.amazon.com/Designers-Edge...139792&sr=1-58

Blog Entries
    I concur. I wear them when it is cold. But I also wear one on the left hand with roughing from square. I'm a wimp and that hurts! If it is warm out I take it off once the piece gets round... just for 'feel' sake.
    Have a Nice Day!

I wear padded weight lifting gloves while turning especially with bark or dry wood. Lyle Jamison said at one of demo's just don't put your hands on the other side of the tool rest. Have been wearing the left hand glove since.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

and there you have it
    the prevailing wind seems to blowing towards no gloves
    to each his own

No gloves for me either. I am fortunate that I spent the time and money to insulate and heat my shop so I keep the thermostat at 55 until I go out there. Then I bump it to 65 and take off the jacket. The expense was worth every dollar. Having always been a hands on guy and having cut, scraped and smashed about every finger at one point....I still hate wearing gloves. I think its the loss of direct touch that bothers me. For hot chips... I just suck it up and take a little break to rest the hands.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

These are the gloves I wear.

DSC_0007 by rboyett2001, on Flickr

However if my fingers are going to be close to the work piece (like sanding) or my Nova chuck, the gloves come off.

As for the tip on removing jewelry (especially rings) that is something I live by. I used to be a UH-1H Crewchief and I have seen the end result of what happens when a wedding band gets caught in machinery. So go for it if you like nothing more than a bare bone where your ring finger used to be.

Thanks

Wow! A lot of strong feelings here. Like all of you, safety is my number one concern, too. I'm going with Michael and getting a heater. It was also a good idea to use duct tape to handle hot shavings. As to wedding bands...I'd rather wreck a finger than face the wife. She is a tough one about that ring.
    Thank you again. Very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Pfeifer View Post
    Not to change the topic, but this is great advice. Wedding rings might not get caught in a turning chuck or on a piece of wood, but if the soft metal gets crushed by a bad catch or a flying piece of wood, how are going to get that ring off? Just saying...
    If your wearing a tungsten carbide ring... its a different story as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Quetin View Post
    Wow! A lot of strong feelings here. Like all of you, safety is my number one concern, too. I'm going with Michael and getting a heater. It was also a good idea to use duct tape to handle hot shavings. As to wedding bands...I'd rather wreck a finger than face the wife. She is a tough one about that ring.
    Thank you again. Very helpful.
    My wife is ok as long as its a good reason. Like the time i managed to shoot a 2 1/2" finish nail 2" deep in my left hand. I wear a tungsten carbide ring, so off it came for a couple days till i was sure my hand wasnt going to swell any. If it does, theres no cutting these rings off from what i hear.

I going with gloves, I use carpenter gloves fingerless on thumb, pointer and middle. They are tight to your hand and work great.
    I am in the construction bis. and use them all year..
    ALSO let me through in a twist what about the SANDING GLOVE any one use it..

I think it is how safe you feel, and accidents do happen. been on ladders for 20 plus years and last year feel off 5 feet up and now have a new elbow S%$# happens when you least expect it..... BUT STILL WEAR GLOVES...